Second Bachelors before applying to PA school?

Hey everyone,

So I graduated with a B.S. in Biology last year. I have a 3.18 overall GPA, a 3.3 pre-req GPA, and around a 2.9 science GPA. Not the best I know. After that I received by EMT-B and CNA certifications (the program I'm looking at accepts certification clinical hours as well), re-took a pre-req class that I got a C in and received an A. I've been volunteering at a level 1 trauma center for almost 2 years with about 200+ hours there, and I am also a volunteer EMT (which is the same as working for the county except obviously you don't get paid) with about 100+ hours there. I've shadowed 3 PAs. I've been applying to jobs for months and haven't had much luck.

However, I do have an interview for a nursing support tech position coming up soon. My plan is to work for at least 2-3 years to get more HCE. However, I'm worried that my GPA isn't competitive enough and I'm considering going back to get my Bachelors in nursing, as well as to get more experience. How do PA school feel about post-bacs? If your second degree GPA is higher does that look better? The PA school I really want to go to doesn't require the GRE (CCBC-Essex PA program), but 2 others I'm looking at do, so I have to decide about studying/taking the GRE as well.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas please let me know, thanks!

Hey everyone,

So I graduated with a B.S. in Biology last year. I have a 3.18 overall GPA, a 3.3 pre-req GPA, and around a 2.9 science GPA. Not the best I know. After that I received by EMT-B and CNA certifications (the program I'm looking at accepts certification clinical hours as well), re-took a pre-req class that I got a C in and received an A. I've been volunteering at a level 1 trauma center for almost 2 years with about 200+ hours there, and I am also a volunteer EMT (which is the same as working for the county except obviously you don't get paid) with about 100+ hours there. I've shadowed 3 PAs. I've been applying to jobs for months and haven't had much luck.

However, I do have an interview for a nursing support tech position coming up soon. My plan is to work for at least 2-3 years to get more HCE. However, I'm worried that my GPA isn't competitive enough and I'm considering going back to get my Bachelors in nursing, as well as to get more experience. How do PA school feel about post-bacs? If your second degree GPA is higher does that look better? The PA school I really want to go to doesn't require the GRE (CCBC-Essex PA program), but 2 others I'm looking at do, so I have to decide about studying/taking the GRE as well.

Hey everyone,

Interesting questions.

1. My class had people that were right out of their BS, two of us with MS degrees, and a variety of other experiences. So getting more education is fine.

2. As you noted, your science grades aren't that strong. I would consider taking some other science courses (patho, biochem, etc) to get it up. That might be faster than going for a whole new BS.

3. If You really do get a BS in nursing, then you will eventually have to decide whether to just take another year and be an NP or continue with your original PA plan.

3. We do get a lot of messages here that some programs require a large number of HCE hours. That seems to depend on the specific program(s) you are applying to. If you keep working, keep doing your EMS volunteer work, and get your grades up a bit, that might be enough.

4. Best to check with the programs you are considering. As I've posted before, I recommend arranging for campus trips (especially with the summer coming up). An hour across the table from a school's academic coordinator will be more valuable that months spent thinking about it -- or listening to people like me, for that matter.

Good luck!

Interesting questions.

1. My class had people that were right out of their BS, two of us with MS degrees, and a variety of other experiences. So getting more education is fine.

2. As you noted, your science grades aren't that strong. I would consider taking some other science courses (patho, biochem, etc) to get it up. That might be faster than going for a whole new BS.

3. If You really do get a BS in nursing, then you will eventually have to decide whether to just take another year and be an NP or continue with your original PA plan.

3. We do get a lot of messages here that some programs require a large number of HCE hours. That seems to depend on the specific program(s) you are applying to. If you keep working, keep doing your EMS volunteer work, and get your grades up a bit, that might be enough.

4. Best to check with the programs you are considering. As I've posted before, I recommend arranging for campus trips (especially with the summer coming up). An hour across the table from a school's academic coordinator will be more valuable that months spent thinking about it -- or listening to people like me, for that matter.

Good luck!

Interesting questions.

Good luck!

Archived