volunteer questions! :)

Hi, I have a question on where on CASPA to put two of my experiences.

I volunteered a tuberculosis testing clinic for international students on campus, but I basically just guided them to different providers doing the test and talked to them while they were waiting to calm their nerves. Would this be under other health care experience or just community service?

Also - I volunteered for a research program on child health. I would basically meet with pregnant women in the hospital and enroll them in the research program. Sometimes I would transport specimens as well. Would this be under research, other health care experience, or just community service?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) thanks!

I'm also going through this application cycle, and if it was me for the TB testing, I would put that under community service only - that type of interaction rarely will count as legit patient care experience.

I'm not sure about the second one. There's a FAQ part on CASPA addressing something like this that might fall into both categories, and I believe it states to break up the amount of hours spent doing HCE or volunteer. ...

From the CASPA directions for experiences:

https://portal.caspaonline.org/caspaHelpPages/frequently-asked-questions/additional-information/work-and-volunteer-experience/index.html

"Patient Care Experience

Experiences in which you are directly responsible for a patient’s care; for example: prescribing medication, performing procedures, directing a course of treatment, working on patients as an active EMT, etc.

Other Health Care Experience

You are working in the health or a health-related field but are not directly responsible for a patient’s care; for example, filling prescriptions, performing clerical work, delivering patient food, cleaning patient rooms, working as “candy-striper” or hospital volunteer, etc.

Community Service

Volunteer work done outside of the health care field; for example, working for Habitat for Humanity, tutoring children, participating in or working for a fundraiser walk or blood drive, etc."

Given those definitions, neither of those experiences sound like patient care. At best the pregnancy one might be other health care, but the TB one is doubtful.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived