I am planning on applying this cycle (1st attempt) and after reading the application stats page, Im so discourged!

It seems like most of the applicants have over 1000 hours.

My stats are:

Undergrad: UCLA

cGPA: ~3.5

sGPA: 4.0

GRE: going to take but probably around 50%

HCE: around 500 - 700 (all volunteer and shadowing hours)

Are any of you out there on the same boat as me???

I am planning on applying to USC, Western, NYIT, Cornell, Pace, schools in TX and PA.

IM SO NERVOUS!!!!!

I am planning on applying this cycle (1st attempt) and after reading the application stats page, Im so discourged!

My stats are:

I am planning on applying to USC, Western, NYIT, Cornell, Pace, schools in TX and PA.

IM SO NERVOUS!!!!!

The most competitive applicants will always have 1000 hours (really 2000 hours) or more of paid patient contact experience. That being said, there are schools that have low patient contact hour requirements. If you are applying to schools with low HCE requirements (i.e. 500 hours or less), you might have a decent shot because of your GPA. However, it would probably be best if you began to acquire some paid patient contact experience. If you get in, it will give you a better idea of what you are getting yourself into, and if not, it will improve your application a lot for next cycle.

The most competitive applicants will always have 1000 hours (really 2000 hours) or more of paid patient contact experience. That being said, there are schools that have low patient contact hour requirements. If you are applying to schools with low HCE requirements (i.e. 500 hours or less), you might have a decent shot because of your GPA. However, it would probably be best if you began to acquire some paid patient contact experience. If you get in, it will give you a better idea of what you are getting yourself into, and if not, it will improve your application a lot for next cycle.

I am planning on applying this cycle (1st attempt) and after reading the application stats page, Im so discourged

My stats are:

You need to apply to Loma Linda, Samuel Merritt and Western. Don't waste an application cycle if you know that your stats are near identical to those who are accepted at these schools.

I am planning on applying this cycle (1st attempt) and after reading the application stats page, Im so discourged

My stats are:

You need to apply to Loma Linda, Samuel Merritt and Western. Don't waste an application cycle if you know that your stats are near identical to those who are accepted at these schools.

doesn't Loma Linda require 2,000 hours? I am keeping my hopes up for Western since they don't have an actual number requirement.

doesn't Loma Linda require 2,000 hours? I am keeping my hopes up for Western since they don't have an actual number requirement.

Call and double check. It said prior to enrollment not prior to application. I think that requirement changed recently. I remember last I had considered there was 2 years ago and it was 1k hours recommended.

Patient Care Experience

2,000 hours of hands-on patient care experience must be completed prior to enrollment.

http://www.llu.edu/allied-health/sahp/pa/prerequisites.page?

Call and double check. It said prior to enrollment not prior to application. I think that requirement changed recently. I remember last I had considered there was 2 years ago and it was 1k hours recommended.

Patient Care Experience

2,000 hours of hands-on patient care experience must be completed prior to enrollment.

http://www.llu.edu/allied-health/sahp/pa/prerequisites.page?

• 11 months later...

My stats are:

IM SO NERVOUS!!!!!

Hi! I was wondering how you did on your applications last cycle? I'm kind of in the same boat as you were, except I have about 500 paid hours as a scribe and my science GPA is a little lower than yours. If you could give me some insight on whether it would be a good idea for me to just wait to apply in 1 more year or to just be very careful about which schools I applied to (i.e. ones with lower HCE requirements)?

Thanks!

Archived