M.S.P.A.S and MMsC-PA question

I am applying for PA school when CASPA opens this year and was looking at the UAB surgical PA program which awards an M.S.P.A.S. While I am not opposed to specializing in surgery, I am not sure if I would stay in surgery forever. Does anyone have this degree? Was it difficult finding a job, since its not a "traditional" PA degree? Any other information on it?

MSPAS is a Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies...it is not specific for surgery (although UAB's program does indeed have a surgical tract). My school also offers the MSPAS but is not surgery specific. You still take the same boards, etc. You would be able to move to other areas of medicine just like any other PA-C. You just have more specialty training in rotations in the surgical tract...at least that is what I remember when I looked at this program a couple years back...

No one cares what your master's degree is in, or what letters make it up. What actually (and unfortunately) counts is that you DO have a master's degree, as more and more facilities and even states are requiring it just to get your foot in the door to practice.

MPAS, MSPAS, MMsc....it's all the same BS.

Archived