REVISION #7: Any further critiques are invaluable

I rolled my cart of IV fluids down the halls of the hospital for the evening refills. It was my first week as a pharmacy technician and I was anxious about my future after graduation. An alarm wailed as I stepped off the elevator,

“Attention, Code Blue on South-9”

I quickly wheeled my cart into the medication room and peered over the a group of nurses, respiratory therapists and staff, searching for the source. Bryan, the on call PA, began orchestrating the staff seamlessly, ordering the removal of the patient’s clothing, intubation, and appropriate IV fluids. After a few painful minutes, the 24-year-old patient was still. The patient’s brother fled the room, dropping a book he had been reading at his brother’s bedside. Upon leaving the floor after my refills, I caught a glance of the patient’s brother in the hall with his face buried on Bryan’s shoulder. Bryan stood there calmly, with one arm around the patient’s brother and the other arm holding the dropped book. Moved, I reflected on the event for the duration of my shift.

As a pharmacy technician, I contribute an important, but relatively indirect role in providing care and the extent of my patient contact is limited. In the patient’s room however, I could see a face, body, and even his terrified mother. My contribution felt meager compared to that of the PA, and I realized at this time that I had more to offer. I’ve tended to do more, finding a more consistent calling in taking a more difficult route, serving others because it empowers me. Because of this, I obatined leadership positions in various organizations while my peers settled for more single-minded pursuits.

• As a drum major in Texas Tech University’s marching band, I was expected to think critically while commanding over 350 students during rehearsals and performances. Many times in this position I helped students on an individual basis, sometimes informally, by discussing their personal problems with family and school.

• The student senate allowed for a much larger spectrum of service. Since many of my contemporaries had conveyed the importance of timely feedback in their academics, I used my influence as chair of the committee on academics to spearhead an initiative that ensured a prompt grade turnover for students.

Both of these roles enhanced upon my strong work ethic, but more importantly, endowed me with a deeper sense of empathy and desire to serve others.

After experiencing the code blue firsthand, I wanted to be a stabilizing force for people as Bryan was for the patient’s brother. I began researching what it really takes to be a PA and became more enthusiastic upon realizing I was already developing many of the qualities an ideal PA has. Motivated by this, I began my prerequisites with a stronger resolve than ever and tutored my classmates in rigorous courses such as Physiology and Cellular Biology. Upon completion of several academic requirements, I proved to myself that I was capable of mastering difficult material, enjoying the challenge it brought. At this point, the long hours of studying along with achievement reinforced my desire to complete a course of study as a PA student.

I pressed on beyond required academics to become a certified nurse assistant, getting my hands dirty to learn the fundamentals of direct patient care and began shadowing at a local wound-care clinic. Christy, the PA at the wound-care clinic, had quickly compelled me within the first few hours of shadowing. While educating her patients in both Spanish and English, Christy demonstrated her knowledge of medicine and the compassion to see her patient’s problems through. I noticed what is most authentic of Christy and Bryan is that in addition to being investigative and knowledgeable professionals, they are equally just as comforting and unassuming in their nature.

The patient, like many who undergo a code blue, passed away. However tragic the event was, I am thankful for the experience because it caused me to consider a different way of living and instilled a desire to never give up on what I hope to achieve. Throughout my self-discovery, the PA profession has emerged as the perfect fit for me because it fits my personality unequivocally. It has pushed me to become more successful in my academics and exceedingly generous in compassion. I happily look forward to continue serving others in a more refined manner and am confident that PA school will supply me with the capacity to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, an extremely good narrative. If I were on an Adcom, I'd certainly be inclined to extend an interview offer. The only thing that tripped me up was the use of the word "unequivocally" near the end. I guess it technically makes sense from a logical standpoint, based on the definition, but I thought the choice of word was somewhat awkward and disrupted the flow. Just my opinion.

You say peered over the a group... sounds a little funny, my be one less the or a. The sentence about single minded peers does not sound to positive, may be take it out.

You are repeating wound care clinic twice in two close sentences, sounds redundant. Finally, last paragraph second sentence. However tragic the event was... sounds bad. I know what you are trying to say, but it has to come out right. This to me sounds awkward. Try and rethink that.

Otherwise great.

Thank you everyone for your advice! I've heard the same critiques from others so your revisions are totally spot on. Also, reading it over myself has revealed the same types of nuances. I'll take all of them into consideration.

Good luck to everyone else!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. This is great! I agree with everyone else about "peered" change that. I didn't understand the "single-minded" reference. Also, I would make contribute as past tense and say "As a pharmacy technician, I contributed an important..." This is great, I am also a pharmacy tech as well. Just curious, did you end up getting any interviews? Good Luck! Well done!

Hi. This is great! I agree with everyone else about "peered" change that. I didn't understand the "single-minded" reference. Also, I would make contribute as past tense and say "As a pharmacy technician, I contributed an important..." This is great, I am also a pharmacy tech as well. Just curious, did you end up getting any interviews? Good Luck! Well done!

Thanks! I haven't even sent off my CASPA application, so I haven't even begun the waiting process for interviews *fingers crossed*. I'm waiting for my spring semester grades to be finalized before I start the coursework section on CASPA. I'll definitely let everyone know if I hear back from any places though!

Thanks! I haven't even sent off my CASPA application, so I haven't even begun the waiting process for interviews *fingers crossed*. I'm waiting for my spring semester grades to be finalized before I start the coursework section on CASPA. I'll definitely let everyone know if I hear back from any places though!

Start your coursework process the sooner the better. From my experience last year, that was the part that sucked the most on CASPA, is putting class after class after class by hand! What a major waste of time!

Start your coursework process the sooner the better. From my experience last year, that was the part that sucked the most on CASPA, is putting class after class after class by hand! What a major waste of time!

I agree with patachok, but also when I went to a PA session, they said it takes 6 weeks to download grades from CASPA! So i'm trying to get mine in asap! While your still waiting on feedback, I would finish the rest of the application or process your classes. Ok good luck, let us know!

I agree with patachok, but also when I went to a PA session, they said it takes 6 weeks to download grades from CASPA! So i'm trying to get mine in asap! While your still waiting on feedback, I would finish the rest of the application or process your classes. Ok good luck, let us know!

• 6 months later...

Archived