Second draft--you know the drill!

“If you are building a Lego car, and the wheels will not move, why might this be? What could you do to fix it?” I read off this question to my fellow undergraduate researcher, as I was preparing diligently for my first lab assessment in the local elementary school. Even with the weeks of training under my belt, I had not yet realized the significance of this question. What more could I possibly learn from Legos? After all, part of my childhood was spent mastering the tallest, sturdiest Lego tower possible. Fifteen years later, however, I found myself with a fresh perspective—one I would have never expected. I was learning to build various Lego models that I would demonstrate to children. One in particular was a motorized car. As one would imagine, there were certain challenges the children, as well as myself encountered. For me, it was the wheels not moving. I had to continually reassess and change the pieces as necessary so that everything meshed as a cohesive unit.

Playing with Legos at the age of 21, I realized that the answer to the “why might the Lego car not move” question paralleled the role of a physician assistant, and my journey thus far that has prepared me for the profession. In January 2012, prior to entering my lab, my mother was diagnosed with leukemia and was rushed to NC Cancer Hospital to begin treatment. This was newly chartered territory for me. I was only a junior in college trying to keep my head above water. I had to juggle my course loads, extracurricular activities, and being with my mom. My mother’s gallant support throughout her own battle made something inside of me snap. I thought, “If she can be that strong, so can I.” Despite my past sub-par semesters, I had to reevaluate myself, and, just like the Lego car, I had to try new “pieces” to make it work.

While standing by my mother, I was exposed to the inner workings of a health care team. Because of the complications from her case, I met a plethora of medical professionals—physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, and physical therapists, to name a few. Her hospital room often became a place of congregation for these providers. Not only was I given a center stage view of a health care team, but I was able to interact with them and learn more about their respective professions. I knew I wanted to work in healthcare, but up until that point I was not sure which career was the right fit for me. Kim, my mother’s PA, led me to further research the profession. I was captivated instantly, and knew nothing else would suffice.

After completing my own research, I realized the role of a PA, in many ways, is like learning to build a moving Lego car. There are pieces that carry out their own responsibilities to make the whole system work. If something goes wrong, such as the wheels not moving, the components must be flexible to change. While almost any health care professional can fit into this mold, the physician assistant is particularly appropriate since they must work within the realm of physician delegated autonomy. Also, as more physicians are entering into specialties, physician assistants will be critical for primary care. Their flexibility to practice in various fields of medicine contributes to their growing need. My utmost desire is to become a physician assistant and practice primary care in an underserved area.

When my mother passed away in October 2012, the pieces of the puzzle all fell into place. Much like the Lego car, I have learned to readjust and re-discipline myself when life throws me curves. This has only made me stronger, and confirmed my decision to be a physician assistant. Persevering through such a difficult time has given me the malleability demanded of a PA. If I had to predict my life a few years ago, I would have never considered the loss of my mother, nor the strength I would gain from the experience. However, I know that this journey has better prepared me for future struggles; I know I can face whatever life throws my way. Somewhere through the twists and turns I found self-confidence, steadfast strength, and determination that have prepared me to be a physician assistant.

To be honest I could not finish reading your personal statement because it was too boring. Everyone writes about how there family member has been stricken with cancer. Mine was too however I chose not to write about that. Yes that introduced you into the profession but why else do u want to be a PA?

Thanks for your opinion, but I havent had 1 person tell me it was boring until now. Thats why I used legos as my hook instead of leading in with my mother. I used my experience to explain how I became aware of the PA profession. And that has been such a significant part of my shaping it would be a lie if I didnt mention it (I know it can be overused) but where most people go wrong is leading in with it. And thats not what MADE me want to go into medicine, its what led me to PA.

So, I think it is coming off in a way I am not meaning to. I am not wanting to say "my mother got sick and passed away, she had an awesome PA, so that's why I want to be one." I am trying to use it as an explanation of why SPECIFICALLY PA because I was able to interact with all types of health care professionals, and seeing the way they worked, completing my own research about them, and realizing I have the qualities needed of current and future PAs is why I am choosing it. How can I portray this better?

Archived