ortho spine offer- opinions please?

i am negotiating for ortho spine position in TX. i have 4 years of experience. 1 year of neurosurgery (including spine) and 3 years neurology (neuromuscular subspecialty).

Here is what they have offered:

salary: 115K

bonus: i am waiting to hear back from the surgeon re: production bonus. i'm not sure what to expect. is production bonus pretty standard for ortho spine?

bennies: i asked for complete health coverage for me and family, but they say they can only cover me for legal reasons?? i've never heard of this before. should i push this or ask for 10K for per year to cover my costs? the lowest deductible plan they offer is $500 and premiums for me and family would be around $1000 a month!

15 days vacation, 3 sick days, 5 days CME ( i asked for 10 sick days- they initially only offered 10 days PTO, but agreed to my request for 15 days vacation) should i ask for more sick days?

2500 CME plus all licensing, professional fees, and panre

short/long term disability: they offer this, but it would be out of my pocket

life insurance: 50,000 max

malpractice: 100% covered

401k- they only offer non-matching programs right now

how does this offer sound? any thing else I need to negotiate for? i currently have a job and they just lost a pa so are needing someone asap which gives me the advantage.

the surgeon does only minimally invasive so most patients go home same day or next. he has a pa that has been with him 6 years so we would be sharing the duties. occasional rounding on a weekend. no ER call. hours approx 50-60/week. 3 OR days, but transitioning to 2 soon. rest is clinic. lots of potential opportunities in the future as practice expands,

any input appreciated!

I would never take a job that didn't cover medical/dental/vision for my whole family. deal breaker.

115k for 40 hrs sounds good with your experience I would expect 125k+ for 60 hrs/week.

I plan on asking for an additional 10K per year to cover the insurance expenses. I don't know if it's just Texas, but I haven't come across many jobs that cover the whole family's med/dental/vision. Most of my fellow PA friends don't have this benefit, but thanks to this forum I now know to expect that. And by cover you do mean pay 100% of premiums, correct?

I have never had a job that didn't cover 100% of health care premiums for my whole family. I still pay office visit copays, etc but not one cent of the monthly premium.

this is pretty standard in em unless you are an independent contractor but then you are making 80+ dollars/hr in many situations.

I have never had a job that didn't cover 100% of health care premiums for my whole family. I still pay office visit copays, etc but not one cent of the monthly premium.

this is pretty standard in em unless you are an independent contractor but then you are making 80+ dollars/hr in many situations.

I work for the hospital system and for the first time I have to pay premiums. The family plan has never been 100% subsidized. For that matter in 4 jobs its never been 100% subsidized. To the OP benefits have to be the same for the entire staff. So it sounds like its common there to not offer family coverage.

I've been in the workforce for 20+ years now, and can say you are very, very, very fortunate if you have an employer today that pays 100% premiums for your entire family. I realized as much with my job in journalism when I got that benefit; my healthcare bennies there were better than at the large, nationally recognized hospital next door, where I'd have to pay about $400 a month to add my family. Doctors there probably get a sweeter deal, but still. 100 percent family coverage is quickly becoming a dinosaur.

Archived