Question about submitting GRE scores

When submitting GRE scores in CASPA, are we just manually entering our scores in a non-official way and then on the day of our GRE test, we specifically add in the school's codes that we want our GRE scores to be sent to? I'm taking the GRE's either end of this month/beginning of May. Do I need to bring a list of school's codes that I'm applying too? I believe we get to send out to four schools?

I'm just confused as it was my understanding that when taking the GRE, we just enter in CASPA's code and than our GRE scores get sent out to CASPA, and than CASPA sends them out to each school we apply to. But some school I'm looking at, state to send scores right to the school. Can someone clarify how this works. thanks guys!

From the CASPA FAQ:

https://portal.caspaonline.org/applicants2013/faq/tests.htm

Q: Do I send my test scores to CASPA?

A: NO. CASPA does NOT accept any official test scores other than the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) exam. Any other test scores, such as the GRE, MCAT, etc, should be sent directly to your programs. Please contact the programs to which you are applying to determine which test scores they require.

You won't need the school codes, and most proctor sites won't let you bring in anything to the testing center. You'll be able to find the schools you're looking for without much problem on the day of your GRE. You're correct about inputting your scores unofficially into your CASPA application, but you won't send CASPA an official GRE transcript. You'll send your transcript directly to your program(s) of interest. If for some reason you don't include a school on the day of your exam, you can pay ETS to send a transcript for a small fee (I want to say $20, but a quick Google search will answer that). Best of luck!

awesome, thanks guys! Cleared/confirmed everything up for me. Just for some reason I thought I read somewhere about CASPA having their own GRE code that you entered into the GRE. So basically the GRE allows up to four schools GRE code entry(part of the $185 test), then its added cost for each school after?

Yes, they will allow you to send it to 4 schools for free. You do not have to send it to additional schools on test day. You can always log onto the website and add more. Some people choose to wait until they have their full set of scores before they send it out to anyone else.

Archived