Nursing before PA school?

This is my first post on here but I'm very stressed about a big decision I have to make: continuing with my Biochemistry B.S. or switching to Nursing for a BSN. Either way, I really think I want to be a P.A. I absolutely love chemistry but I do not desire to pursue chemical school and am not interested in Pharmacy/Medical school because of the number of years it takes to become either. Therefore, if I got my Biochemistry degree, my only desire would be to pursue P.A school. However, I have been talking a lot to my older sister who is a pharmacist with many friends in various spectrums of the medical field and she says that it's extremely difficult to get into P.A school without a lot of prior HCE. She also said that a lot of the people who get accepted are people who are nurses or other medical professionals and usually older. I don't mind the idea of becoming nurse for a few years or even pursuing nurse practitioner but my worry about being one permanently is that I may not enjoy nursing model occupations as much as I would a medical model occupations.

This leads me to my question: Is it wise to become a nurse if I am seriously entertaining the idea of P.A school? If so and I don't enjoy nursing, I know that I could bite the bullet a few years until hopefully getting accepted into a P.A school. If not, I don't want to take that risk. The reason that I am thinking nursing instead of a Biochemistry degree is because I don't want to be left hanging until I can get into a P.A school. Plus, I'm afraid that if I continually don't get accepted I might get discouraged and then have nothing but a Biochemistry degree and no real job. I feel that if I had less pressure by having another job to fall on, I am the type of person who would be more likely to succeed in achieving my goal.

To describe myself, I am in my first year of college and have a 3.7 GPA after having taken a weed out General Cellular Biology Class and Chemistry I Honors class. I got a B in the Bio class and an A in the chemistry class. Right now, I am fighting Chemistry II Honors (by fighting, I mean I have a C+ currently). I also have to contend with a recent diagnosis with ADD (which I'm being medicated for) so I have a tendency to have focus issues at times. I was 5th in a senior class of 420. However, I'm contending with what has been dubbed as the "the most rigorous chemistry department in my state." I get discouraged easily about failure (which I know I will deal with no matter where I go) but I'm trying to figure out the best option that will make me feel the least pressured.

If any of you out there are N.P's or P.A's, could you describe the difference between "nurse model" and "medical model"?

This is my first post on here but I'm very stressed about a big decision I have to make: continuing with my Biochemistry B.S. or switching to Nursing for a BSN. Either way, I really think I want to be a P.A. I absolutely love chemistry but I do not desire to pursue chemical school and am not interested in Pharmacy/Medical school because of the number of years it takes to become either. Therefore, if I got my Biochemistry degree, my only desire would be to pursue P.A school. However, I have been talking a lot to my older sister who is a pharmacist with many friends in various spectrums of the medical field and she says that it's extremely difficult to get into P.A school without a lot of prior HCE. She also said that a lot of the people who get accepted are people who are nurses or other medical professionals and usually older. I don't mind the idea of becoming nurse for a few years or even pursuing nurse practitioner but my worry about being one permanently is that I may not enjoy nursing model occupations as much as I would a medical model occupations.

This leads me to my question: Is it wise to become a nurse if I am seriously entertaining the idea of P.A school? If so and I don't enjoy nursing, I know that I could bite the bullet a few years until hopefully getting accepted into a P.A school. If not, I don't want to take that risk. The reason that I am thinking nursing instead of a Biochemistry degree is because I don't want to be left hanging until I can get into a P.A school. Plus, I'm afraid that if I continually don't get accepted I might get discouraged and then have nothing but a Biochemistry degree and no real job. I feel that if I had less pressure by having another job to fall on, I am the type of person who would be more likely to succeed in achieving my goal.

To describe myself, I am in my first year of college and have a 3.7 GPA after having taken a weed out General Cellular Biology Class and Chemistry I Honors class. I got a B in the Bio class and an A in the chemistry class. Right now, I am fighting Chemistry II Honors (by fighting, I mean I have a C+ currently). I also have to contend with a recent diagnosis with ADD (which I'm being medicated for) so I have a tendency to have focus issues at times. I was 5th in a senior class of 420. However, I'm contending with what has been dubbed as the "the most rigorous chemistry department in my state." I get discouraged easily about failure (which I know I will deal with no matter where I go) but I'm trying to figure out the best option that will make me feel the least pressured.

If any of you out there are N.P's or P.A's, could you describe the difference between "nurse model" and "medical model"?

I have spent a lot of time on this forum for the last year or so and I can tell you that others have asked similar questions. I'm just a pre-PA but I'll give you a quick rundown of some common responses to this type of situation.

Many of the experienced PAs say that if they were young and facing a choice between becoming a doctor or a PA they'd go to medical school for the MD. The reason for this is that over the course of a career a doctor will make a lot more money than a PA, and they get to call the shots on the big cases. Doctors have more prestige and can get some jobs that a PA might not be able to get, like serving on executive committees or boards, lucrative speaking engagements, teaching positions. Also doctors can be lead surgeons while PAs can only assist. For a few more years in school now, your career and your income can be on a higher trajectory for the next 30 years. What kind of specialty in medicine you are interested in, and whether you are interested in surgery can be important considerations. If you want to work in another country the MD is recognized but the PA is usually not.

On the other hand, getting into and through a medical residency sounds like a real rat race. Family physicians don't make as much as other kinds of doctors and they face a long pay back period for their medical school loans. That can make PA more attractive if you want to do primary care.

Other considerations:

Since you are in your first year of college, it's not too late to get certified as an EMT, or CNA, or phlebotomist, or ER tech, or EKG tech and get your health care experience while you are still in college. Lots of people get into PA school with a strong academic record and this kind of health care experience. You don't have to be a nurse or x-ray tech.

I think getting a vocational degree like BSN is actually not a bad idea. A license that allows you to work a professional job and make money is often a safer investment than a straight academic degree - just ask a million unemployed college graduates. But nursing is not the only option. Nursing can be tough, nasty work and many people hate it. You could also train to be a respiratory therapist, a radiologic technician, a dental hygienist, a physical therapist assistant, or a medical laboratory technologist. If you like chemistry, maybe you'd like having lab tech as your back up plan instead of nursing. Getting the BSN and RN license does allow you to eventually go for nurse practitioner or anesthetist, though.

I don't know if what I wrote helps you make a decision or not. If you can get a job as a nurse aide at a hospital you will get to see what all these different professions do and it will be clearer to you whether nursing is the right choice. I recommend getting a job in a hospital asap so that you can see what's what. If you can't make a decision maybe you can double major in Biochemistry and Nursing and keep all doors open. Good luck!

I have spent a lot of time on this forum for the last year or so and I can tell you that others have asked similar questions. I'm just a pre-PA but I'll give you a quick rundown of some common responses to this type of situation.

Many of the experienced PAs say that if they were young and facing a choice between becoming a doctor or a PA they'd go to medical school for the MD. The reason for this is that over the course of a career a doctor will make a lot more money than a PA, and they get to call the shots on the big cases. Doctors have more prestige and can get some jobs that a PA might not be able to get, like serving on executive committees or boards, lucrative speaking engagements, teaching positions. Also doctors can be lead surgeons while PAs can only assist. For a few more years in school now, your career and your income can be on a higher trajectory for the next 30 years. What kind of specialty in medicine you are interested in, and whether you are interested in surgery can be important considerations. If you want to work in another country the MD is recognized but the PA is usually not.

On the other hand, getting into and through a medical residency sounds like a real rat race. Family physicians don't make as much as other kinds of doctors and they face a long pay back period for their medical school loans. That can make PA more attractive if you want to do primary care.

Other considerations:

Since you are in your first year of college, it's not too late to get certified as an EMT, or CNA, or phlebotomist, or ER tech, or EKG tech and get your health care experience while you are still in college. Lots of people get into PA school with a strong academic record and this kind of health care experience. You don't have to be a nurse or x-ray tech.

I think getting a vocational degree like BSN is actually not a bad idea. A license that allows you to work a professional job and make money is often a safer investment than a straight academic degree - just ask a million unemployed college graduates. But nursing is not the only option. Nursing can be tough, nasty work and many people hate it. You could also train to be a respiratory therapist, a radiologic technician, a dental hygienist, a physical therapist assistant, or a medical laboratory technologist. If you like chemistry, maybe you'd like having lab tech as your back up plan instead of nursing. Getting the BSN and RN license does allow you to eventually go for nurse practitioner or anesthetist, though.

I don't know if what I wrote helps you make a decision or not. If you can get a job as a nurse aide at a hospital you will get to see what all these different professions do and it will be clearer to you whether nursing is the right choice. I recommend getting a job in a hospital asap so that you can see what's what. If you can't make a decision maybe you can double major in Biochemistry and Nursing and keep all doors open. Good luck!

I like what lemon bars stated above. Just want to add a couple of things... Getting your RN is a good move if you want to be a NP or PA. It's considered the best type of previous HCE by most programs (along with Paramedic / Military Medic). Your sister is right that most PA programs require anywhere between 0 HCE and 2000 Hours of HCE. Most programs are usually in the minimum range of 500-1000. In regards to classes like honors and etc... I noticed you're getting a C+ right now in Chem... Get that B because some schools require it to be that way. Gotta be strong with your performance especially with a prerequisite course. Remember there isn't a conversion between an honors class vs a non-honors class.

In regards to age... It's an even mix but the average student is about 26-28. But needless to say there are 22-23 year olds as well as people who are 40-50+ years old. If you started gaining HCE now I think it would give you a better understanding of mid level provider vs physician and it'll let you make an informed decision. You should also shadow RNs, NPs, PAs, MD/DO, PharmDs and make an informed decision as well. You're early in college and its going to get a little more confusing as you progress through school (I changed my major 5 times) and that's natural. There are also 4 year BS PA schools out there so that's something to consider as well (not sure if your school has one or not).

Either way best of luck

(ps I would get a degree in something that will give me a trade in the end versus just prep for MS/PhD programs.)

I like what lemon bars stated above. Just want to add a couple of things... Getting your RN is a good move if you want to be a NP or PA. It's considered the best type of previous HCE by most programs (along with Paramedic / Military Medic). Your sister is right that most PA programs require anywhere between 0 HCE and 2000 Hours of HCE. Most programs are usually in the minimum range of 500-1000. In regards to classes like honors and etc... I noticed you're getting a C+ right now in Chem... Get that B because some schools require it to be that way. Gotta be strong with your performance especially with a prerequisite course. Remember there isn't a conversion between an honors class vs a non-honors class.

In regards to age... It's an even mix but the average student is about 26-28. But needless to say there are 22-23 year olds as well as people who are 40-50+ years old. If you started gaining HCE now I think it would give you a better understanding of mid level provider vs physician and it'll let you make an informed decision. You should also shadow RNs, NPs, PAs, MD/DO, PharmDs and make an informed decision as well. You're early in college and its going to get a little more confusing as you progress through school (I changed my major 5 times) and that's natural. There are also 4 year BS PA schools out there so that's something to consider as well (not sure if your school has one or not).

Either way best of luck

(ps I would get a degree in something that will give me a trade in the end versus just prep for MS/PhD programs.)

A little background on me. I'm a licensed vocational/practical nurse and have been for about 9 yrs now. I am close to being able to apply to the RN program (On my last prereqs) and considering applying for PA school. Just got back to school last summer to re-do my sciences due to recency requirements.

Nursing is very hard work. If you don't have the passion for it, you may want to consider going straight to PA school or med school (if you have the time and resource). And I agree that if you really don't like nursing, to get your required Paid healthcare experience, you can go the other routes---MA, PT asst, RT, etc. but do consider that even with those other programs, there are separate prerequisites and application processes. So, either way, it takes up time. Medical school does not require paid experience prior to application, it may seem like a longer route, but if you consider everything else, since you're only in your first year in college, it might be the best route for you. Hope this helps :) I figured I shall give you the nursing take on the subject.

A little background on me. I'm a licensed vocational/practical nurse and have been for about 9 yrs now. I am close to being able to apply to the RN program (On my last prereqs) and considering applying for PA school. Just got back to school last summer to re-do my sciences due to recency requirements.

Nursing is very hard work. If you don't have the passion for it, you may want to consider going straight to PA school or med school (if you have the time and resource). And I agree that if you really don't like nursing, to get your required Paid healthcare experience, you can go the other routes---MA, PT asst, RT, etc. but do consider that even with those other programs, there are separate prerequisites and application processes. So, either way, it takes up time. Medical school does not require paid experience prior to application, it may seem like a longer route, but if you consider everything else, since you're only in your first year in college, it might be the best route for you. Hope this helps :) I figured I shall give you the nursing take on the subject.

I'm hoping to finish my undergrad in nursing and get my BSN before applying to PA school. I will know at the end of April if I'm accepted into the program. Yes, it will take longer to finish my degree than if I went another route, but I think the training and HCE will be so valuable. It also gives me a good back-up plan, in case I don't get in to PA school.

Plan B if I don't get in to nursing school is to finish my BS in Biomedical Laboratory Science and continue working as a phlebotomy technician for HCE hours.

I personally like the PA route best but, if I had been a BSN, I think I would have just done the extra 12 months and become an NP.

Agreed and you could always apply to both NP and PA programs when the time comes. I prefer PA as well but if I had a BSN and got into an NP program instead of PA then I would have gladly taken it.

Thank you all. My reason for not going MD is because I don't care to be the one who calls the shots or have prestige. PA seems to feel the best from what I've researched because I was interested in medical school for awhile but I realized that PA fits my lifestyle desires more. I like that they have some knowledge and freedom but that they aren't the ones who everyone depends on to call the big shots. Plus, I don't want to deal with 4 more years of school and then rotations/ residency. I just wish I didn't freak out and choke because of competition. I just feel like I don't even have a shot at PA school sometimes because I'm not perfect. I'm not the heads of all these clubs (I'm still somewhat active on campus), I'm not in a point where I can find a medical job like phlebotomy (I am going back home this summer), and I'm smart but I'm not the smartest. And so many people want it. I don't mind hard work but I wish I at least felt like I had a chance.

Archived