Prerequisite Courses in progress

(Re-post in more accurate section)

Hello,

I am in a particular situation looking for insight.

Undergraduate Studies-Criminal Justice Major (horrendous GPA 2.7)

Went back to community college 3 years later after deciding to go PA, been taking prerequisite courses (Bio, Microbio, A&P I, Gen Chem I and Gen Chem II) with a 3.7 GPA

Volunteer EMT-B with over 1000 hours (it has been about a year and 3 months)

PA Shadow 250 hours (Columbia Presbyterian New York, Liver Transplant Team)

Currently in spring semester finishing up prerequisite courses (A&P II, Bio II, Orgo, Abnormal Psych).

I plan on taking the GRE's end of June and plan on shadowing another PA (Hackensack University Medical Center - ER) end of May for another 250 hours.

CASPA opens up April 17th.

Route A: Initially, I've been told to apply as soon as possible! Get your app in and have things pending, but at least get the process started and get your name in at the front of the line. If I take this route, I will be able to submit my application by the beginning of May however have 4 prerequisite courses in progress, GRE not yet completed and 2nd PA shadowing in progress.

Route B: Now I am hearing that it would be wise to wait! If I wait to get everything done before I apply, I would not be able to apply until the beginning of July. That is like mid way time of application cycle.

Some schools that I am looking into are: UMDNJ, Tufts, Baylor, Weill Cornell, Eastern Virginia Medical School. I know these are all particularly more competitive schools and am still looking into researching safety schools.

Thoughts, anyone?

(Re-post in more accurate section)

Hello,

I am in a particular situation looking for insight.

Undergraduate Studies-Criminal Justice Major (horrendous GPA 2.7)

Went back to community college 3 years later after deciding to go PA, been taking prerequisite courses (Bio, Microbio, A&P I, Gen Chem I and Gen Chem II) with a 3.7 GPA

Volunteer EMT-B with over 1000 hours (it has been about a year and 3 months)

PA Shadow 250 hours (Columbia Presbyterian New York, Liver Transplant Team)

Currently in spring semester finishing up prerequisite courses (A&P II, Bio II, Orgo, Abnormal Psych).

I plan on taking the GRE's end of June and plan on shadowing another PA (Hackensack University Medical Center - ER) end of May for another 250 hours.

CASPA opens up April 17th.

Route A: Initially, I've been told to apply as soon as possible! Get your app in and have things pending, but at least get the process started and get your name in at the front of the line. If I take this route, I will be able to submit my application by the beginning of May however have 4 prerequisite courses in progress, GRE not yet completed and 2nd PA shadowing in progress.

Route B: Now I am hearing that it would be wise to wait! If I wait to get everything done before I apply, I would not be able to apply until the beginning of July. That is like mid way time of application cycle.

Some schools that I am looking into are: UMDNJ, Tufts, Baylor, Weill Cornell, Eastern Virginia Medical School. I know these are all particularly more competitive schools and am still looking into researching safety schools.

Thoughts, anyone?

• Administrator

* What is your GPA? Not your undergrad GPA, not your community college GPA, but your cumulative GPA and science GPA. Asking for advice without those numbers is a waste of everyone's time, and based on the other amount of research you seem to have done, you should have known better.

* 250 hours of shadowing is at LEAST 200 too many. 250 more would be ridiculous. You need more patient care hours, not more thumb-twiddling hours.

* 1000 hours of volunteering in 15 months is quite a lot. Do you have enough material there for a good personal statement?

* Many programs won't consider you if you have more than 1-2 prerequisites in progress.

* There isn't really any such thing as a PA "safety" school.

* June/July is still plenty of time to apply.

* How are you for LORs?

• Administrator

* What is your GPA? Not your undergrad GPA, not your community college GPA, but your cumulative GPA and science GPA. Asking for advice without those numbers is a waste of everyone's time, and based on the other amount of research you seem to have done, you should have known better.

* 250 hours of shadowing is at LEAST 200 too many. 250 more would be ridiculous. You need more patient care hours, not more thumb-twiddling hours.

* 1000 hours of volunteering in 15 months is quite a lot. Do you have enough material there for a good personal statement?

* Many programs won't consider you if you have more than 1-2 prerequisites in progress.

* There isn't really any such thing as a PA "safety" school.

* June/July is still plenty of time to apply.

* How are you for LORs?

Hi rev ronin,

Thanks for your response!

My cumulative GPA would equate to be a 3.0 with the current prerequisite courses I am currently enrolled in. My science GPA would be a 3.7.

The shadowing hours were a hospital requirement for me to fulfill in order to be accredited the shadowing experience. In your opinion, you don't think a second shadowing experience would be beneficial? I figured since the environment I was in dealt more with in-patients and this next would be an ED, it would be a good thing.

Volunteering at the ambulance corps. had to have been one of the best choices I've made. My town luckily (or unluckily) has a high call volume allowing me to have had great exposure over the time. So yes, it has been I definitely can use it for a good personal statement.

I currently have 4 classes in progress - therefore you would highly recommend me waiting at least until those grades are submitted?

Can you expand your thoughts on "safety" schools because there are PA schools that are less competitive to get into.

As for LOR's, I have one from a PA, Chief of Ambulance Corps, and a professor.

Thanks again for responding and I hope you get to provide some more advice!

Archived