Excited about PA, confused about undergrad degree

Hello, I'm super interested into going into PA school and have researched alot of undergrad degrees but need help deciding. My biggest problem is that i need to finish my degree online which sort of limits me on what degrees i can get. My goals for my undergrad degree I want it to be diverse so i could do something else if for whatever reason i lost interest so that im not limited. My medical experience is going to be coming from the ems field and looking into getting my undergrad as a B.S. in organizational leadership through FHSU online or even OU in administrative leadership. I love OU as a college and think that its a great program but it is significantly more expensive than FHSU. I really am interested in the material learned in the organizational leadership programs and really feel like i'd be able to apply what i've learned on many different levels. Im also thinking about using my paramedic certification and getting a B.S. in emergency medical care that has all the required pre med clas but is extremely expensive. I've also looked into the online micro biology degree from the university of florida but i feel like i'd be pretty limited with what could do with that degre if i changed my mind.The leadership degree has some of the required classes need but i figured i could take the rest of those classes at my local community college for super cheap. What do you think about this for the long run? Think it would help or hinder getting the leadership degree and getting into pa school?

1) Go to the most reputable college you can, regardless of cost, within reason.

2) Get a degree that will help you later in PA school and while practicing as a PA. Example, when a looking at lab results to determine which antibiotic to prescribe I would rather have a BS in microbiology rather than in management in my opinion.

Your undergrad degree is irrelevant as long as you take your PA preqs. Major in something you have an interest in.

Please don't listen to this individual. Undergraduate degrees do matter and it may be the determining factor when deciding between two candidates for one seat with all other things being equal. The more experience/exposure you have to science/healthcare/medicine the better. Some PA programs even require that your undergraduate degree be in a "health/medical related field."

I got my undergrad in Communications.. Later I got an MBA emphasis in marketing. Most the people I know who got in had non healthcare / bio degrees. At Western U I met school teachers, engineers, graphic designers and a lot of people who did not have a healthcare / science background that got in. At a few other programs I know a general contractor, a plumber, business executive, etc who all got in. Even EMPA had an anthropology degree and I'm sure they didn't think twice about it. Point of the matter, undergrad subject does not matter. Your GPA, prerequisites, HCE, volunteering, and shadowing matter. Yes it's preferred you have a science or healthcare related degree.. But if you have a degree in a different subject it will not hold you back.

Point of the matter, undergrad subject does not matter. Your GPA, prerequisites, HCE, volunteering, and shadowing matter.

No offense but EVERYTHING matters, everything. Like I said, some programs REQUIRE a science undergrad degree so your advice is limiting this person right off the bat. You're correct that prerequisites, HCE, volunteering and shadowing matter. You're also correct that a candidate with a degree in a non-related field, such as dance, can get accepted and it happens all the time. But, as a candidate you want to make your application the strongest you possibly can to pursue your dream of studying medicine and having a degree in a related field only helps your candidacy. For instance my particular school had a 3.6% acceptance rate into the program so having every single category on my CASPA unbeatable was necessary...including a strong undergraduate major. To the OP, if you're serious about becoming a PA, make your application unbeatable in every category over the next few years and don't leave it up chance. It's a competitive process so prepare for it as such.

Please don't listen to this individual. Undergraduate degrees do matter and it may be the determining factor when deciding between two candidates for one seat with all other things being equal. The more experience/exposure you have to science/healthcare/medicine the better. Some PA programs even require that your undergraduate degree be in a "health/medical related field."

. . . Says the troll with 4 posts

No offense but EVERYTHING matters, everything. Like I said, some programs REQUIRE a science undergrad degree so your advice is limiting this person right off the bat. You're correct that prerequisites, HCE, volunteering and shadowing matter. You're also correct that a candidate with a degree in a non-related field, such as dance, can get accepted and it happens all the time. But, as a candidate you want to make your application the strongest you possibly can to pursue your dream of studying medicine and having a degree in a related field only helps your candidacy. For instance my particular school had a 3.6% acceptance rate into the program so having every single category on my CASPA unbeatable was necessary...including a strong undergraduate major. To the OP, if you're serious about becoming a PA, make your application unbeatable in every category over the next few years and don't leave it up chance. It's a competitive process so prepare for it as such.

I don't think a 3.6% acceptance rate still dictates what your major has to be. You're new to this forum and although the people on here represent a small number of those in the field or trying to get in it, this has been a topic of discussion over and over again. There are over 170 programs. Some use CASPA and some don't. Some focus on your last 60 units, some your BCP totals, some your total GPA, science GPA, where you live, some are lottery, if you're military, religious affiliation, how many hours of HCE and quality of it, or your hours and continued support of community service. There has been surveys... Over 100 threads a year on this topic and what do I need to do to get into PA school... etc... In the end there is a consensus and that consensus is in order of importance:

#1 GPA matters the most (cGPA > sGPA > pGPA +/- grade trending)

#2 HCE totals (and not quality of experience)

#3 How well you wrote your PS / hours of comm service

#4 Strength of LORs

#5 How well you performed in your GRE if applicable

Thats just to get to the interview. Once you're in the interview the rest no longer applies and what matters is how well you performed once you reach the big stage.

Ya I'm sure if they were going between 2 applicants they may look at various items but I cannot in my right mind say that they'd choose a person strictly off of what they got their degree in versus all the factors I listed above not including others like what certifications or the number of certs or the quality of HCE or a dozen other things first.

Ill say this again because I don't want to get into a long drawn out conversation on this but the reality is every school is different. GPA is GPA and there is no conversion tool between someone who went to an Ivy League school versus the person who went to CC then the local state school versus someone who was pre-med or pre-PA versus the person who got a BA instead of a BS.

Go through the accepted students stats here on the forum or the "what was your undergrad major" forum polls and you'll find that yes the majority of people were science majors but there is also a large sample size of non traditional students as well.

Either way to the OP... Get a degree in something that'll land you a nice quality job with direct patient contact like RT, RN, or EMT-P. It'll better prepare you to get into PA schools and well make you a well rounded PA when you come out.

I agree it probably does matter, at least for certain schools, but there aren't many that require your BS to be medically related. FWIW, Northern Arizona University offers a BS in Paramedic Care that is completely online (link below). If you already have a paramedic license I would look into going that route, you'd basically be ensuring yourself the ability to apply to any and every school.

http://extended.nau.edu/DegreeRequirements.aspx?degreeID=119

Thank you guys so much for all the answers and will be deeply considering alot of the advice you all have given me. As for GPA goes do you think the are going to like the mirco biology degree with a 3.4 rather than say an organizational leadership degree with a 4.0? I really like the idea of getting a bs in emergency medical care but if for whatever reason I decided to leave the medicine field all together then what would i do with that degree? Also one other thing im worried about is whether or not to go the more expensive route to go with a more reputable school such as OU or University of Florida or to go the cheaper route with a less well known college. both are regiournally accredited it just seems like your paying for the name. Also do you guys think that PA school will look down on online degrees? I'm not even sure they'll know that they were from online because the diploma is the same as the traditional students.

You can get an online degree... Just don't go to an online school. In my previous field (business) most employers tell recruiters to pass on people who have online degrees (specifically UoP). So lets say you did an online program at Duke or BYU I don't think anyone would know the difference. The issue you're going to come into with PA schools is when you have classes that require labs. When I interviewed I was asked if my masters was online or in a physical class room (got my MBA from UoP) I told them I was in a physical class room. One of the interviewers was familiar with the program as their spouse was attending it and attested to the amount of work one puts in along with working full time. The point is some people care and others don't. Better to keep it safe and go the more traditional route if given a choice. And I'll tell you doing online classes are more demanding then going to a physical class (participation posts, multiple essays every week, online or in person proctored exams, papers and presentations due every week and group work). You also have to be self motivated and disciplined to make sure you learn the material.

You can get an online degree... Just don't go to an online school. In my previous field (business) most employers tell recruiters to pass on people who have online degrees (specifically UoP). So lets say you did an online program at Duke or BYU I don't think anyone would know the difference.

Very true. I worked in the corporate world for 17 years and we would toss resumés that had degrees from online schools like University of Phoenix, DeVry, Capella, ITT Tech, etc. The reputation of these schools is not regarded well in the real world. Definitely go for a degree from well-known schools that offer online degrees (e.g. Northwestern, Penn State, Michigan State, etc.) You still get a piece of paper that says "Bachelor of Arts" or "Bachelor of Science". If you go to an online school EVERY potential admissions committee or future employer will know you have an online degree.

Undergraduate degree does not matter. How well you do in your prerequisite classes and how much (and what kind of) HCE you've accumulated take priority over all other things. GRE/MCAT, personal essay, and interview are the next most important things.

If you have further questions, ask the ADCOM that uses these boards. The user has their own thread "Ask a PA Admissions Director" and their user is paadmissions. They're your best bet if you're unconvinced from the rest of us.

IMHO, you are paying good money for your degree. You may or may not get into a PA program. You may or may not spend your life as a PA. You might even change careers a few times; I know I did. Take something that will give you the skills to do something in life, regardless of the direction your life may turn.

For example, my SP was encouraging his son -- who also wants to become a physician -- to go into a 6 year college program that ended with an MD. Eventually he relented and let his kid get a 4 year degree and then go to med school. He is in a biomedical engineering undergrad program and doing great. He will likely become an MD, but along the way, he is building a foundation for going in any number of other directions, should he decide at some point to do so.

I was once 20 and thought I knew exactly what I wanted to do. That turned out to be two years before the first PA class graduated from Duke. You never know the direction your life may take, so be prepared.

And good luck.

IMHO, you are paying good money for your degree. You may or may not get into a PA program. You may or may not spend your life as a PA. You might even change careers a few times; I know I did. Take something that will give you the skills to do something in life, regardless of the direction your life may turn.

For example, my SP was encouraging his son -- who also wants to become a physician -- to go into a 6 year college program that ended with an MD. Eventually he relented and let his kid get a 4 year degree and then go to med school. He is in a biomedical engineering undergrad program and doing great. He will likely become an MD, but along the way, he is building a foundation for going in any number of other directions, should he decide at some point to do so.

I was once 20 and thought I knew exactly what I wanted to do. That turned out to be two years before the first PA class graduated from Duke. You never know the direction your life may take, so be prepared.

And good luck.

So are you saying getting a general degree such as the administrative leadership degree would be a wise Idea?

Also I've been doing alotta research about narrowing down and so far I've deecided between a B.S. Emergency medical Care ( seems like the most practical thing for me since im in ems, and covers all the pre med classes and its about 468 a credit hour), B.A. Administrative Leadership ( is crazy expensive with 643 a semester hour, but i like the material in it. ),and B.S. in Microbiology ( This degree interests me but not much i can do with it if i left medicine but it is also the cheapest at 205 a credit hour) hard decisions to make, does anybody else know of any other science related degrees besides a psychology degree? they need to be online fully and can either be a full program or degree completion. UF has the only science related degree that I've seen so far.

So are you saying getting a general degree such as the administrative leadership degree would be a wise Idea?

Also I've been doing alotta research about narrowing down and so far I've deecided between a B.S. Emergency medical Care ( seems like the most practical thing for me since im in ems, and covers all the pre med classes and its about 468 a credit hour), B.A. Administrative Leadership ( is crazy expensive with 643 a semester hour, but i like the material in it. ),and B.S. in Microbiology ( This degree interests me but not much i can do with it if i left medicine but it is also the cheapest at 205 a credit hour) hard decisions to make, does anybody else know of any other science related degrees besides a psychology degree? they need to be online fully and can either be a full program or degree completion. UF has the only science related degree that I've seen so far.

Microbio degrees pave way for MLT programs. You can do an MLT program w/o BS but you'll be stuck @ entry level position. BS + MLT enables you to move up... MS + MLT is great. Friend has BS in micro and MLT, makes ~$53,000 to start. Once he finishes grad program he'll earn more.

How a microbio or EMS degree can be online is beyond my comprehension though.

Microbio degrees pave way for MLT programs. You can do an MLT program w/o BS but you'll be stuck @ entry level position. BS + MLT enables you to move up... MS + MLT is great. Friend has BS in micro and MLT, makes ~$53,000 to start. Once he finishes grad program he'll earn more.

How a microbio or EMS degree can be online is beyond my comprehension though.

both are completion degrees are hyrbrids, you have to go to a designated site for the labs. As fars as the ems degrees go its has the en ed classes in it as well as ems related content.

"So are you saying getting a general degree such as the administrative leadership degree would be a wise Idea?"

What I was trying to say was that you are making an investment when you get a degree. Getting a degree just to maybe have a small leg up applying for a specific PA program seems strange to me, what with all of my own career changes over the last 45 years. The advice I would offer is:

1. Get your healthcare experience. An impressive number in a relevant area, but not bazzilions of hours -- most of other applicants are young too.

2. Take the prerequisites for whatever PA programs you would like to apply to (they are not all the same)

3. Get an undergraduate education you can afford and do WELL at it

4. Take a degree of study that:

a. you are interested in

b. would lead you to a career that you would be interested in if the PA gig turns out not to be for you

c. Gives you a foundation that you can build on.

Sure, you could do a BS in biology, for example. You might not enjoy learning about trees and algae, but you could get through it. But, if you don't get to PA school, you could be one of many looking for some low-paying entry level jobs, or else having to go back to school for an advanced degree. More trees? Not a bad way to go -- lots of people do it -- but the real question is, is it for you?

It is hard to know what will happen to the job market over your career. The best advice I can offer is use your heart -- and your head -- as you plot a course, and expect the world -- and your own interests -- to change.

Good luck!

Archived