Clinical Rotations on Military Installations

Has anyone heard of conducting second year clinicals at military hospitals or clinics while attending a civilian university? I am a soldier with the National Guard and have been accepted into a civilian PA program that begins in Sept. 2013. My goal is to "go active" upon graduation. Just wanted to put my feelers out there. Thanks for the advice.

Kevin

Hi, Kevin. It is possible. They will need to have the same paperwork as other rotation sites. It is helpful if the base you are looking at already has residencies or clinical rotations from the military's PA program. You will need to find out what base you want to rotate with and get in touch with the education coordinator now. Then when you start your program, you will need to have the clinical coordinator talk with them. And follow up consistently. The final authority is the Pentagon, and it can take a while to be approved.

• Administrator
I've seen it up at Ft Lewis with 2nd year PA students working at Madigan Army Medical Center. The ones I saw were with Pacific University. So yeah... it can be done.

Yep. Did General Surgery and Cardiology rotations at Madigan. It was a great experience... except that like all teaching hospitals, students get to see a lot, but quite a bit more is DONE by the residents and interns.

There was a bit of paperwork hassle. Since the rotations were a year apart, I had to get fingerprinted twice, and had to sit through all the mandatory training twice... but the process isn't any worse than any other bureaucratic hoopla... you just have to do what they say, and provide what they request, in a timely manner, and everything goes OK.

One classmate has a ridiculously common name which was on the no-fly list, and he cannot get rotations at military bases or prisons, IIRC. As long as that's not you, you should be fine. Me, I had a security clearance years ago, so I know they know who I am. :-)

NAVY PA-C, At what installation do you practice/precept? In a perfect world, I would like to do a rotation or two through Yokosuka Naval Base. I was stationed at Camp Zama, Japan as an Army Medic from 1996-2000.

I think I might put in for Madigan as well. I still have a good clearance and should have no problem getting into Madigan....or at least I hope.

Some thoughts:

- Security clearances have finite dates and levels of access based on multiple factors. I have a Recon IDC HMC that cannot rotate with me because he does not have provider level access, clearances and required training courses (online courses thate service specific plus HIPAA). Mind you he is an E-7 that has high level op clearance...START EARLY.

- Just because you are a NG or Reservist doesn't make access instant either. Seen that scenario play out too many times forcing members to seek alternative rotations because of tight timelines. START EARLY

- These agreements are between the institution and the command. Do not expect anyone at the hospital, clinic, etc to handle it without you being involved. Paper works moves sllloooowww in the military. START EARLY, BE PROACTIVE.

- Lastly, come ready to be serious. Military preceptors have to contend with the aspects of being a military officer while seeing patients. There may be little chance of hand holding so maybe plan a rotation on a military installation later in your clinicals...? Personally I do not take 1st rotation clinical students unless they have STRONG backgrounds. I work at the largest FP Residency site in the Navy and we are just too busy for "shadowing" as a PA-S. START EARLY, ASK ABOUT EXPECTATIONS AS A STUDENT.

We have several civilian med students rotating at the MTF I'm at, but to my knowledge they're all coming from local institutions with established MOU's that routinely send students (we send students to them, too, by the way). I should think it would be much more difficult to try to independently set up a rotation, but of course it doesn't hurt to ask. Have you looked into the HPSP thing, since you're planning on going AD? Maybe that could get your foot in the door. I have no idea, personally, as I am doing inservice training and have never had to deal with an officer recruiter before. Good luck.

Navy PA: Thanks for the advice. I will begin the process one year out from each expected rotation. I am confident that if I begin the process early as you suggested and continually folow up, I wll be succesful in setting up the rotations. As far as hand holding; point taken sir. I have worked within the military health care environment (with PA's) for over fifteen years. The last ten have been as a helicopter flight medic. I understand what it means to be expected to perform your military duties on top of conducting patient care.

Archived