Help me organize my plan/life!

Hey all,

I graduated last year from college with a B.S in biology with a 2.94 cum GPA and 2.7ish science GPA :=Z: I believe my biggest setback was freshman gen chem where I got a D+ in both I and II. My second biggest setback is not taking micriobio or biochem. I am working right now as an EMT in a very busy city so I'm not too worried about HCE. I haven't gotten to shadow anyone yet, but I will once I figure everything else out.

So here's what I think I have to do:

Retake both gen chemistry courses (CASPA averages the grades, correct?)

Take microbiology (seems like most schools require this course and not biochem)

Here's what I hope I only have to do:

Take microbio this summer

Would it be unrealistic to expect to get into a program without retaking both gen chem courses? I have to start applying for these courses soon, so any help will be greatly appreciated!

Take Gen Chem 1&2, Micro, and Biochem. Get A's in all of them. Then in your personal statement talk about how you had a rough start in college and you're past that and to prove it you improved on the courses you did poorly in and got A's. then take more credits and get that GPA close to a 3.3 as much as you can. Your sGPA should also be higher than your cGPA. So work on that.

So if you need to retake classes you got a C in then do it. If there is a class you can take that is a prerequisite to get into another program take it. It's a numbers game.. You need more credits with high grades to increase your GPA. From here on out look at getting a B+ like receiving an F.

Next, pay the $75 and become an AAPA member. Use it to email PAs in your region and specialties of interest and set up a shadowing rotation. Then pay attention to the daily emails to be more informed to the current events going on within the PA world. List that you're an AAPA member on your CASPA app too. Maybe take it a step further and get involved with your state PA association (volunteer if possible).

Next pay attention to community service and get involved and increase your volunteering hours (every year this number needs to continue to climb).

Last, get motivated and know that you're able to handle the work load and show the PA adcoms that you are it. You are the person they NEED in their program and you're going to do that by working your tail off and showing them on paper and eventually in the interview that you are the real McCoy.

Best of luck to you.

it is definitely unrealistic to expect to get into a program without retaking those courses AND doing well in them. retake them, get A's, take microbio (get an A), continue racking up hce

you have a long road ahead of u but it will be well worth it in the end

That was motivating! That all sounds like great advice, and I'm going to work my butt off. Why didn't anyone ever tell me that grades matter in college?!?!?!

Why were you under the impression that early college grades didn't matter?

My answer to your request of us helping u organize your life, my first thought was "sell everything and go on walkabout

Downunder for a year. Work on ranches when u need some cash"

i am serious with the suggestion but no one ever goes that direction

Why were you under the impression that early college grades didn't matter?

My answer to your request of us helping u organize your life, my first thought was "sell everything and go on walkabout

Downunder for a year. Work on ranches when u need some cash"

i am serious with the suggestion but no one ever goes that direction

Hahaha I was just joking about the grades comment!

I didn't want to make a new thread, so hopefully someone can help me out here on another question. One of the colleges close by offers microbio with lab but is only a 3-credit course. I don't know which PA schools I will be applying to in the future, but would this be a problem? Should I find another school that offers a 4-credit course instead? Thanks in advance!

Archived