What will pa practice look like in 2020. predictions...

Just so I understand what you're saying, is a 1-year residency as valuable as 5 years at a really great job?

yup. and just so you get what I am saying some residents will ALWAYS be better than some folks who don't get the opportunity to perform certain tasks or see certain types of pts.

the reality of being a pa is that your sp and hospitals dictate what you can do. at many places if you haven't done it before you will never get the chance to do it. at my current job 5 of 15 PAs do LPs because we did them elsewhere first. no one else can or ever will unless they go to great pains to get trained and credentialed to do so.

a procedures log from a residency goes a long way to getting credentialled for a full range of advanced procedures.

it used to be that sp's liked to teach. now most just want you to move the meat as a cheap doc alternative.

yup. and just so you get what I am saying some residents will ALWAYS be better than some folks who don't get the opportunity to perform certain tasks or see certain types of pts.

the reality of being a pa is that your sp and hospitals dictate what you can do. at many places if you haven't done it before you will never get the chance to do it. at my current job 5 of 15 PAs do LPs because we did them elsewhere first. no one else can or ever will unless they go to great pains to get trained and credentialed to do so.

a procedures log from a residency goes a long way to getting credentialled for a full range of advanced procedures.

it used to be that sp's liked to teach. now most just want you to move the meat as a cheap doc alternative.

Good insights. Thanks!

Choose carefully...!!!

Years ago, there was a "residency" program on the East Coast (I think in W. Virginia) that offered/sold several different specialty residencies that was basically a "distance learning" program for PA's that were already working in the same fields. It was basically the same as a UNMC masters degree but labeled as a "Residency" ... which SHOULD have different requirements and connotions.

Try to avoid "residencies" that by default, require the PA "residents" to compete with the physicians for procedures (Physicians are gonna win that one EVERY time)... or residencies out in the middle of BFE where the acuity and prevelance of interestng/challenging cases are rare/minimal.

Choose carefully...!!!

Years ago, there was a "residency" program on the East Coast (I think in W. Virginia) that offered/sold several different specialty residencies that was basically a "distance learning" program for PA's that were already working in the same fields. It was basically the same as a UNMC masters degree but labeled as a "Residency" ... which SHOULD have different requirements and connotions.

Try to avoid "residencies" that by default, require the PA "residents" to compete with the physicians for procedures (Physicians are gonna win that one EVERY time)... or residencies out in the middle of BFE where the acuity and prevelance of interestng/challenging cases are rare/minimal.

YUP, was not a fan of that program. I know a guy who completed all the "clinicals" for em through them working at an urgent care ctr where he did no significant procedures.

YUP, was not a fan of that program. I know a guy who completed all the "clinicals" for em through them working at an urgent care ctr where he did no significant procedures.

Which was WHY... I asked in the most recent "EM Fellow/Residency" Thread if the PA "resident/fellow" was paying or being paid....

YOU know that I know that REAL residencies pay a stipend because the PA is actually making the program money.

Contrarian

Back to the thing that habit/practice CAdamsPAC mentioned about asking questions to stimulate thought, inquiry and promote under/overstanding... NOT because I don't know the answer.

Archived