College and HCE

Hey all,

I literally just started my adventure in becoming a PA. I started college for my associates this semester and I am wondering how to go about getting good HCE. I was working as certified pharmacy technician (not very good HCE if accepted at all) now I am a full time student. I am lucky that my husband and I moved in with his parents so that my mother –in-law can take care of my 2 ½ year old while I go to school.

My college is for the first time offering a home health aide program and a phlebotomy program is starting May 11th, it’s a 14 week program they both run about $595. I was debating on whether I should volunteer at a hospital vs. being either a home health aide or phelm. To volunteer where I am (Florida Hospital’s) it’s a requirement that I volunteer at least 600 hours in 4 months to stay a volunteer.

As of right now I have time to think about what I could do. I am unable to sign up for either courses this semester since my class schedule is severely messed up .All my classes are during the day so I would need either a job that is evenings/weekends or the hospital to let me volunteer during the same times. All the PA schools in Florida except maybe one accepts volunteer hours and don’t have a specific amount.

I am nervous about the load of school work and working at the same time. It’s been about 5 years since I’ve gone to school

Which would be the best route to go? Either the home health aide , phlebotomy or volunteer ?

PA schools prefer paid HCE over volunteering experience so you'd be much better off going that route if at all possible. If you're just now getting back into school after being out of the game for so long you may want to wait a semester to start working and just make sure you can handle your studies. Once you get a better feel of how to manage a school/kiddo/work balance then you'll be in a better position to earn that HCE.

I'm a home health aide/respite provider and wasn't required to take a course. I advise looking into respite care programs in your area, such as United Cerebral Palsy. However, you'd get paid more as a phlebotomist than a home healthcare worker. Home health aide may also have strange hours, for example most of my shifts are only about 2-3 hours long. I know that doesn't answer your question, but since I'm pre-PA I'm probably not qualified to answer your question! I still hope that helps though.

Thanks any advice is welcomed and considered. I still have some time before I truly need to decide what to do. A lot to research since my undergrad is Medical Laboratory Sciences I am tempted to lean more towards phlebotomist. My college does offer a EMT course but its a limited selection so that is also something that I can look into.

Thanks any advice is welcomed and considered. I still have some time before I truly need to decide what to do. A lot to research since my undergrad is Medical Laboratory Sciences I am tempted to lean more towards phlebotomist. My college does offer a EMT course but its a limited selection so that is also something that I can look into.

Being an MLS requires a bachelor's degree so are you currently working on an associates to become an MLT and then enter a CLS program? Med techs are taught phlebotomy as part of the curriculum so I definitely wouldn't drop another $600 for a phlebotomy course.

Yeah I'm working on the 2+2 program, the associate is HLT then the CLS program. Wutthechrist, I didn't think of that since its pretty much part of the degree it would just be a $600 waste of money. I know I've got a pretty few options to do to get HCE it's honestly just figuring out what is best for me.

Really, 600 hours in 4 months? That's extremely excessive for a volunteer position no matter where you're at. Why would you volunteer 37.5 hours a week? That's a full time, unpaid job in itself and might not help you whatsoever for admissions. If I were you, I would look into CNA/EMT versus Phlebotomy/Lab Tech to be honest. Either of the aforementioned will give you paid HCE which you can actually apply to PA schools with. Probably more so with CNA, which can be completed in a semester (16 weeks) or shorter (fast track). It will definitely give you the best shot at a job within a hospital.

Not all MLS programs teach phlebotomy. Mines didn't because drawing blood wasnt our job, it was doing the test and understanding them. I'm now doing a 6 week phleb course so i can get direct patient contact HCE :(

Hmmm...interesting. Med techs may be required to draw blood in certain locations, especially in rural/small places. I assumed it was part of every program's curriculum.

Really, 600 hours in 4 months? That's extremely excessive for a volunteer position no matter where you're at. Why would you volunteer 37.5 hours a week? That's a full time, unpaid job in itself and might not help you whatsoever for admissions. If I were you, I would look into CNA/EMT versus Phlebotomy/Lab Tech to be honest. Either of the aforementioned will give you paid HCE which you can actually apply to PA schools with. Probably more so with CNA, which can be completed in a semester (16 weeks) or shorter (fast track). It will definitely give you the best shot at a job within a hospital.

Med tech experience is accepted HCE except when patient care is required.

Archived