Hey everyone,

I found this forum and was hoping I could get your thoughts about deciding between LLU and Western U. I've been accepted to both programs and am having difficulty deciding on which one to attend. On one hand LLU does seem like the superior program to attend, and with the resources they have I feel as though I would have all I need to succeed. The only thing is that I am not SDA, nor do I consider myself to be very religious, so is anyone with any background such as this able to fill me in if they ever felt as though this was a problem? I am just nervous that I might not be able to fit in is all (although everyone I encountered on interview day was incredibly nice and accepting).

On the other hand I don't know much about western U or the resources they have at their disposal. Although I hear they are a reputable school, I feel as though choosing to attend would be more of a dice roll considering I don't know much other than what they have on their website (interview day was more for them to get to know us, and we did not have the chance to talk to students at all).

Anyway I am really excited about staring this upcoming fall matter which I choose, but before I do hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction!

• 2 weeks later...

Once I found out I got into LLU I cancelled my interview with Western. The facilities are much nicer, the class size is smaller (I talked to students at Western and they didnt even know everyone in their class whereas everyone at LLU acts as if they're family) and I just believe it's a better environment to succeed.

I would not turn down LLU just because you are not religious. You have to attend chapel once a week, that's not too overbearing.

The only reason that I even contemplated Western v LLU was because of the cost difference. I believe it was around 20K cheaper at Western. But once my wife became pregnant and the commute would be 10 mins compared to 45+ mins it was a no-brainer.

once i found out i got into llu i cancelled my interview with western. The facilities are much nicer, the class size is smaller (i talked to students at western and they didnt even know everyone in their class whereas everyone at llu acts as if they're family) and i just believe it's a better environment to succeed.

It was a no-brainer.

congrats on your decision. Good move!

Once I found out I got into LLU I cancelled my interview with Western. The facilities are much nicer, the class size is smaller (I talked to students at Western and they didnt even know everyone in their class whereas everyone at LLU acts as if they're family) and I just believe it's a better environment to succeed.

I would not turn down LLU just because you are not religious. You have to attend chapel once a week, that's not too overbearing.

The only reason that I even contemplated Western v LLU was because of the cost difference. I believe it was around 20K cheaper at Western. But once my wife became pregnant and the commute would be 10 mins compared to 45+ mins it was a no-brainer.

I completely agree with everything you said. After much thought on which school I should attend, I am most definitely going to be attending LLU in the coming fall. To be honest the religion thing never really bothered me, but instead it was more of the fact that I now had a choice of schools instead of just 1 school...and of course when that happens my mind goes about a mile a minute and the even the smallest things are made out to be big ordeals (yayyyy brain!). In fact I'm kind of interested in the whole chapel thing. I have a very open mind so It's really rare that I turn down an experience just because it's new and foreign to me.

I didn't realize that it was about 20K more to go to LLU however. Of course this hurts the wallet a bit, but I am still very confident that it is the more correct choice :)

• 10 months later...

I'm in the same boat right now… LLU vs Western. Anyone else have anymore thoughts on this?

Hey TheDude, I saw your previous post and understand that I could be speaking to my future classmate. Congrats for LLU's offer and presumably Western's as well!

On to the topic at hand; looking only at stats, Western accepts 98 students and Loma Linda 34. Envision yourself having 97 other classmates with all the pros and cons that come with that large a number compared to 33. What does 34 mean?

To me 34 seems like a comfortable number. It seems like there should be some good diversity while maintaining a close-knit family feel. I also happen to really value the service/community aspect of Loma Linda as well as their priority #1- the patient's spiritual/mental state.

I could go on and on about LLU and say some negative (albeit secondhand) things about Western but the truth is, you'll get your first job easily coming from either school. Best of luck to you and please feel free to PM me. 

• 2 months later...

With both being private institutions, it takes the effect of public funding out of the equation.  I wouldn't be too concerned about the religious aspects mentioned.  Once getting to the graduate level, the classroom more closely resemebles the professional world. 

Archived