Strange issue with LOR

Hi everyone. This is an odd situation and I'm wondering if anyone has encountered something similar.

I'm shadowing a PA at a local emergency care center. I believe English is his second language, as he has a slight accent. The problem is that when he sends me Emails to schedule my shadowing, his spelling/grammar is really awful. I don't think he has fully adjusted to typing in English yet, but he does know how to speak it. I'm not sure what to do, as I want to ask him for a LOR in the future, but since I am going to waive my right to read, I don't want it to be full of mistakes or not be written in proper English. At the same time, I can't say, "Make sure you have someone edit it!" haha

Has anyone encountered anything like this before?

Thanks!

I would suggest asking him if it would be permissible for you to write the letter and submit it to him for his review. He could then make changes if necessary, but he won't likely have to if your letter is an accurate representation of yourself. If you're afraid you'll disrespect him by saying that his grammar is terrible, you could always give it the whole "I know you PAs are incredibly busy so I wanted to help you out" spin.

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to be working as an EMT over the summer, so I'm not sure I'll be working with any PAs. However, I'm going to try to apply for an ER Tech position, but since I'm only getting my EMT-B I'm not sure if I'll be hired due to lack of experience.

Yea, I wouldn't recommend getting a LOR from someone who you only really know from shadowing anyways....unless he has observed you directly in your work environment. Most schools want a LOR from a PA if possible but they usually state, "not from a PA from whom you've only shadowed." An MD LOR is a good one too if they have PA's who work for/with them.

Archived