Taking a year off before applying

So I think I have decided to take a year off before applying to PA school so I can gain experience as an EMT. My question is, how am I supposed to get a letter of recommendation from a professor if I taken a year off and I am not taking any classes? I doubt I can email a professor I had a year ago to write me a letter of rec because chances are they won't remember much about me since I go to a school with 40,000+ students.

You definitely do not need a LOR from a professor, but if the school you are interested in requires one from a professor I would start getting in touch with your professor now while you are still in class. Let them know your situation.. they have probably dealt with similar situations before and know how to deal with it.

My situation was similar except my first year out of college I only applied to the PA school at my undergraduate university so I had my professor write me a letter right off the bat. I didn't get in, but this year my professor was very willing to resubmit it for me (all the actual work of writing the letter was done already) and I applied to many more schools. Also I did all the work this year to contact him via email since he moved away...it worked out perfectly in my case.

If you are afraid your professor might forget you in a year it might be best for them to write the letter now and submit it later when you are ready to apply.

Some schools I've seen want a letter specifically from a professor who can speak to your academic ability.

Now let me say this: I went to an undergrad with 30000 people. I think there's a chance some of my profs, with a little prodding, would remember me now. I did research projects for a few of them, answered questions in class, went to their office hours, asked them questions about the class, asked them how to break into their field, whatever.

Some people call it brown nosing, but it's seriously about networking and building personal relationships with people who can help you. IF you display a sincere interest in the subject and express a desire to succeed, most profs will do whatever they can to help you, and will get to know your face.

if this is your last semester, it's a bit late, but not too late. Start going to their office hours...even if you have to make up a question. Express that this class is very important to you and you want to do all you can to succeed. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I think your question has basically been answered, but from personal experience I worked as a paramedic for 2 years before applying. My program took letters from ER docs, PAs, and my supervisors instead of the "professor"... the work experience is valuable, and I think programs recognize this. You can probably contact the admissions rep for the schools you are applying to in order to see what they recommend. There are many students who apply after 5+ years of working, I can almost assure you they didn't get a letter from a professor they had that long ago.

Archived