Would a school invite you to an interview you had no shot at getting into?

Hello,

So I had an interview last Friday at a brand new PA program. Although my interviews went really well (three in total), an interviewing made a comment about a C I got in A&P lab 2... He asked my how I would be able to keep up on the high demands of PA school if I couldn't do well in an undergraduate lab course.

Now I understand his concern, and I know I should have done better. I did let him know that I did well in the class (B+) and that the lab had a different professor who was brand new and only taught that one class. I am not saying it's the professor's fault for my grade, I understand I have to take responsibility for this, but I also know from speaking with other students with different professors, the other professors taught their students, whereas mine let us do everything on our own.

The second semester of this lab at my school is all about muscles, so although I did not do well in this course, I do not feel that I am lacking overall in anatomy.

The same interviewer actually commented on my interviewing skills...so my question is, would they invite me to an interview if I had no chance of getting in? They had to have reviewed my transcripts and grades before I got the invitation to interview, but I'm worried I have no shot at it since he made such a big deal about it...I have a couple months left until I will find out about it, I just wanted some opinions.

They are interviewing around 54 students for the program, and are accepting between 20 and 25. I was in the fourth interview session (each session has six candidates).

Thank you for your opinions!

There are many parts to the interview. That part he put you through was called the stress portion of the interview. They want to see if you can give them a logical explanation and don't cry right then and there in the room. Or stutter and break eye contact and make excuses.

And no they would not waste there time on inviting you to the interview. If you got an invite they clearly like you! Now they just want to see that you are passionate about becoming a pa, and that you can articulate your words, a and that you are normal!

Best of luck!!!

I also got a C in anatomy lab. It also came up in the interview, actually I brought it up before they had a chance. And I got accepted.

Interestingly enough, I also had a new professor who was less than stellar. When it came up in the interview though, I said I had a different idea of the course objectives, and when I got behind in the tests I did not look for help in the ways I probably should have. Spin that negative into a positive by showing you learned from previous failure.

Archived