Class of 2015 Application Status

Those who have already been invited to interviews, what were your admission stats? I'll be applying this summer for the Class of 2016. I hear ISU is really focused on grades and GRE scores, more so than any other PA program. Doesn't really play into my favor, as I have quite a bit of medical experience, which they don't seem to value as much. I'll be applying with a 3.61 pre-req GPA and 74% Verbal 62% Quant. How do I stack up?

Those who have already been invited to interviews, what were your admission stats? I'll be applying this summer for the Class of 2016. I hear ISU is really focused on grades and GRE scores, more so than any other PA program. Doesn't really play into my favor, as I have quite a bit of medical experience, which they don't seem to value as much. I'll be applying with a 3.61 pre-req GPA and 74% Verbal 62% Quant. How do I stack up?

Marf-

Read Section III

http://www.isu.edu/PAprog/admissions_appreview.shtml

and

http://www.isu.edu/PAprog/admissions_stats.shtml

They are pretty transparent. It is all spelled out as to how they grade applicants. It is a 6 point scale for your application to be reviewed (4 pts on your GPA of the 6 prerequisites and 2 pts on GRE score). If you get flagged for review (min file score 4.650) and are offered an interview that interview counts for 4 pts to total 10. There is a bonus undeserved medical area point you can get by filing out their mission survey once you are offered an interview.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the ISU PA program needs to give more credit to things that show a person to be a successful provider and update their whole application process. I think GRE and GPA are important, however, compared to other great programs like MEDEX and UPAP (which are both top 10 programs mind you) ISU has no requirement for clinical experience. I am sorry but a student that has 12,000hrs of hands on clinical experience that got a B in biochem is going to out shine the student that got an A in biochem with no health care experience 90% of the time. ISU forces all of the great applicants away to other schools and accepts the low health care experienced smart student instead. All I am saying is there should be some calculation in the interview formula for abover average health care experience!

I think the ISU PA program needs to give more credit to things that show a person to be a successful provider and update their whole application process. I think GRE and GPA are important, however, compared to other great programs like MEDEX and UPAP (which are both top 10 programs mind you) ISU has no requirement for clinical experience. I am sorry but a student that has 12,000hrs of hands on clinical experience that got a B in biochem is going to out shine the student that got an A in biochem with no health care experience 90% of the time. ISU forces all of the great applicants away to other schools and accepts the low health care experienced smart student instead. All I am saying is there should be some calculation in the interview formula for abover average health care experience!

I wholeheartedly agree. This is why even though I applied to ISU and live in Boise I have accepted a seat elsewhere (MEDEX) even though it will be more expensive for me and hard to live separate from my spouse. I think that the way that they score applicants is not looking at individuals that will become excellent PAs but applicants that will pass the PANCE on the first try. Many other programs are similar but I agree that the top schools look at the whole picture and find a nice balance between good on paper applicants and real people that will succeed as providers.

newpa, I interviewed last Thursday (Feb 7th) and was informed 26 seats had been accepted and 6 more offers were waiting for replies. I was offered a seat about an hour after my interview and am sending my acceptance later today so there are potentially 33 seats left. They also told us there were 35 interviews left at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Woohoo! Offered a seat at Meridian today. Pocatello was my preferred pick but I'm not complaining(going to waitlist for Pocatello, but accept the Meridian seat). Anyone else recieve any good news today? I was one of the last interviews so I didn't have to wait long to find out thankfully, I know there are some that have been waiting since November.

I was offered a seat in Pocatello! I interviewed Feb. 15 so I am very thankful I didn't have to wait too long either!

Thats great! Sounds like I will be seeing you there, I was offered a seat to Pocatello the next day. Lots of stuff to figure out still. Where are you from?

Archived