Very interesting question, I would like your help

The number of credits taken probably isn't the best indicator of program intensity or difficulty. I'm not saying your current program isn't difficult, but I wouldn't advise telling PA school adcoms that you'll do fine there because their program is much easier than your current program.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time. Just offering my thoughts. PA schools have become VERY competitive as you likely know. Any weaknesses in one's application must be clearly addressed.

Credits are definitely not equal among all programs/majors/disciplines. And prestige doesn't equal difficulty, nor does the name of the school dictate the quality of the education.

I too am interested in why you think PA school will be easier?

I can tell you that my previous graduate work (at a prestigious university) required a similar course load as well as a concurrent fellowship, and doesn't hold a candle to PA school. You may be able to pull one over on the ad com with your well thought out "excuse", but the fact that your grades have declined recently are going to hurt you no matter how you cut it. Not trying to sound snarky but I think bailing on a program that is too hard and trying low end PA school on for size because you feel it will be easier is going to yield a whole lot of the same.

• 1 month later...

You mentioned that you had family issues, so there is no need to "conjure up" an excuse for poor performance, as the personal family issues seem to be the cause. You will want to make sure that you address this in your applications and also make sure that you have a solution to the issues so that they are not the cause of poor performance in the future. Also, if you really are interested in specific programs, find a way to meet with them, talk with someone who has insight into their admissions process, current students, attend an info session or open house/etc. Get to know people there so that they like you and hopefully remember you! The program that I will be attending this summer has a specific rubric for interview/admission ranking which they went over at the information session. For us, they had a pre-req GPA (which weighed the most) followed by undergrad GPA, HCE, and value added activities (eg. I have a PhD in bioengineering, and speak Spanish). Find out that kind of information and I think that will help you determine where you have the best chances of directing your energy! Best of luck.

• 1 month later...
Can't wait to learn what that is! :=D:
FYI, The Axis II disorder is for assessing personality disorders and intellectual disabilities according to the DSM IV. The new DSM V should be out next month from what I have recently read ..."Working groups are reviewing the multiaxial system to try to bring it more into line with international reporting standards (as opposed to U.S. standards) with the goal of having a global approach to mental health diagnosis. Regarding Axis II, the American Psychiatric Association states, the subgroup has recommended that DSM-5 collapse Axes I, II, and III into one axis that contains all psychiatric and general medical diagnoses. This change would bring DSM-5 into greater harmony with the single-axis approach used by the international community in the World Health Organization’s (WHO) International Classification of Diseases (ICD)." http://www.psyweb.com/DSM_IV/jsp/Axis_II.jsp

@Julia, I am interested in the medical field and at this point I want to try to salvage that dream by attending a PA program. I dont want to sit here and debate the past, I want to know if I have a shot at getting admitted.

If anyone else has anything that they could add I would appreciate genuine advice on whether I can gain admission anywhere in NYC. Thanks.

I know I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer so this concept may be beyond me but I keep trying to understand....

Each and every PA school has their pre requisites displayed on their website. Granted, some of them are a little ambiguous however most are pretty straight forward. The ones that are ambiguous can generally be clarified with a phone call or email to that particular school.

What benefit is there for people, not just this OP, but many posters, to ask "do I have a chance?"

What they are asking is for a group of strangers, most of us NOT Adcoms or even PAs for that matter here in the pre pa and student forum, without full access to their entire application to predict a success/failure rate. I always wonder if the person asking that question is truly waiting for an honest answer, an answer they want to see, or just felt like seeing their name on the forum board.

Seriously, the only thing we, the Internet addicted crowd, can truly tell you with 99.9999% certainty is that you won't get in if you don't apply. Anything else is pure speculation with nothing but anecdotal evidence to support their claim.

So my suggestion is for you to compile a list of the pre requisites for the schools that you are interested in attending, meet those requirements, then apply. If you are unsuccessful, each subsequent year continue to improve your GPA, your HCE, gather better letters of recommendation, write better personal statements, improve your interview skills. Repeat this process until you are successful or become dejected enough that you pursue one of the fields of medicine that pays as well as PAs, that are a better fit for whatever your background is in.

Archived