Online Bachelors Degree

Hello everyone,

I know there are many postings about online coursework, but I was wondering about actual online degrees.

I am currently an RRT at UCD Med Center. I'm a recent graduate, but decided I wanted more than respiratory before I even graduated (sad I know, but what can you do?). I decided that I want to move on to PA school after working for about five years to get a good level of critical-care experience and am currently working at the same time on all my pre-req coursework at a local CC. Here is where my problem is.

What I wish to do is get my BSRT through a bridge program. Only problem is, there are no schools around here that offer said degree, so the only options I have are online. (Currently considering Boise State or UNC Charlotte). Now I would really prefer to get my BSRT for the much more in depth A&P, pharmacology, pathophys, hemodynamics, etc. But at the end of the day, its still an online degree, and I don't know how admission boards will view such a thing. I've tried to contact the local PA programs but not a single one of them has bothered to get back to me with any info, so I was hoping I could get a little guidance from you guys.

It works like this.

There are two kinds of accreditation...

Regional

and

National

You would think the National would be better but it’s not, Regional is because those are mostly Brick and Mortar, meaning, actual schools. There are 6 regions in the United States.

Most online schools are Nationally accredited. If a bachelors degree is a terminal degree and you needed it for your job then typically, there is not much wrong with a nationally accredited degree.

However, if you wanted to go to grad school, which are the majority of PA schools, then you must inquire if they will accept your nationally accredited degree.

The 5 or 6 schools I called in the Western United States DID NOT.

I did find one later.

So...my advice would be to determine the accreditation status of the online degree program that you’re interested in, then if nationally accredited, call the PA schools that you’re interested in and see if they will take your nationally accredited degree.

BTW, there are 2-3 online schools that I found that were indeed, regionally accredited such as Phoenix, but please, double check that as this was a while ago and my dementia has been acting up lately.

Good luck

Most brick and mortar schools (private and state) have online divisions which carry the same accreditation and the physical school. With your degree, most school arent concerned--if any pre-reqs were completed online, thats when you should really investigate. Some are ok with sciences online; some are ok with just the lecture being online; some dont want any science taken online....

Archived