Potential Anchorage Class #5 Updates, Comments and ACCEPTANCE NOTICES!

I am getting discouraged..... I haven't heard of any more calls today. Since our mail only comes 2 days a week or when the plane feels like bringing it..... I may not even get a rejection letter for days.... I was trying to remain hopeful but.... I am hating going into the weekend without knowing... But maybe we are wrong and there will be more calls yet....

Here is the information I recieved today via e-mail after my inquiry:

Thank you for your message. We are finalizing all of the classes now and will have an application status update out to all applicants by the end of the week. We really appreciate your patience during this process.

I applied for Anchorage and interviewed in ANC on the 5th.

I received a similar message on 1/22 after asking if there were still calls to be made, it said:

Thank you for checking. We are still working on finalizing details for the last three conferences, including the Anchorage conference. We should have everything nailed down within the next day or two. Please watch for more information from us in the coming days.

I also applied on 1/5/13. It is a bit discouraging, but I am so very excited for all of you that received calls. You will be a great class!!

• 2 weeks later...

I know how disappointing it is to get that “dear john letter”, I was there last year. Don’t give up if becoming a PA is what you really want to do. Take this time to do a self-evaluation and come up with a plan to improve in areas that you may be lacking. MEDEX really likes re-applicants; approximately 35% of accepted applicants last year were re-applicants while only 10% of the application pool was re-applicants. For me I decided to do a variety of things, I continued my current position as a MA, took additional classes, did over 100 hours of shadowing PAs, talked with many PAs and PA students, researched issues in medicine and in the PA field, read a few PA magazines, did some volunteer work, and re-wrote all my job descriptions in more detail and re-wrote all my essays. This year I was accepted. I know a few other re-applicants that have been accepted this year as well. So there is hope! Don’t give up!

Hope this helps, Stephanie

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to gather as much information as possible. From those who were accepted and those who weren't. What do you think helped you get in and for those who didn't get in, what do you think hindered you? What were some of the questions they asked? Also, how many people applied? I met a PA student today who was in Fairbanks doing her clinical and she said there was 800 when she applied! Wow, that seems like a lot. Can anyone tell me how many hours you have for volunteering and Shadowing. I'm applying next year so I have some time to shadow still. I'm 26 and have a 3.9 GPA, 6,000 paid clinical hours in different areas CNA, Med surg., Endo Tech, EMT 2 and PT Aid. I also have about 1,000 volunteer hours. The main thing I'm worried about is the fact that my husband is in the Air-force and in 2018 we will have to move somewhere else. Even though I was born and raised in Alaska and plan to return here after his is out of the service, I am afraid that they won't consider me because I don't plan to stay in Alaska right after school.

Archived