Possible dismissal but would like to try again

I am a 2nd year PA student who was accepted into a 5-year BA/MS PA program. I had excellent science and math grades in high school, a good SAT score, and was fortunate enough to be accepted into a few different PA programs. I have struggled a bit with science courses and have less than a 3.0 average right now - probably around 2.8. I have had to retake one class to bring the GPA higher. We are only allowed 3 retakes in total for all classes over the 3 years before entering the last 2 years of the program. If I don't get a 3.0 or higher and/or retake more than 3 sciences classes, I will be dismissed from the program and will have to reapply. I really want to be a PA, and in looking back perhaps majoring in Health Sciences would have been the better choice for me since I could have retaken classes and gotten a much higher GPA. My question is, has anyone had to drop out of the program but get back in eventually after a "detour"? This would really be helpful to me as I am losing my confidence in what I have always wanted to do. I think I have the aptitude - I just was a little surprised at the intensity of the classes and wished I had taken more than a couple of AP classes in high school.

My daughter is in a 5 year BS/MS program, so I'm quite familiar with them (BTW, she took 8 AP classes in high school and it's really helping her now). If you leave your program, I highly doubt they will let you back in at a later time, regardless of your new grades. If you drop out now, you will have to go the traditional route: get a BS degree and get good grades. Get lots of HCE, take the GRE, and then apply to PA school.

Many people are simply not mature enough to start an intensive 5 year program right out of high school -- I sure wouldn't have been! It's not for everybody, in fact, it's not for most people. Nothing to feel bad about if you drop it until you mature some more. Slow down, work some, mature, and try again later. You're young.

Thank you for the great advice. I tend to beat myself up, but then I realize what an intense program this is. I originally started out wanting to do a 4 year BS then PA Masters, but, when I heard about the 5-year program, I thought it would be great to finish early. I may have bitten off more than I can chew at this point, but I am going to stick it out and am determined to do the best I can. I am only 19 and in my 2nd year. If I have to go the traditional route, I feel I will still be young enough to accomplish what I want. I'm sure taking 8 AP's in HS really helped your daughter. Wish I had done the same. Best of luck to her!

I'm not sure what would be different by majoring in something else, assuming you're essentially taking the same courses right now that you would be if not in a PA program since you're only in year 2 of 5. Poor grades will still be calculated into CASPA even if you retake the course. You have to step it up. Figure out what you're doing wrong and correct it. In a few years you will be holding someone's life in your hand.

Archived