Reintroduction to EMR's

I am interviewing for an Urgent Care Clinic three blocks from my home. Although I am known as a surgical PA, I have had 16 years of emergency medicine and primary care. I feel more than qualified but have always hated the EMR's as they prevented me from introducing my own materials or ideas. Are they getting any better? I will still be a speaker, author consultant and SPA but I think my Surgeon partner only has a year or two left in him and I love medicine enough to practice until I expire and they have to rip that stethoscope from my cold , dead hands.

Bob

I am interviewing for an Urgent Care Clinic three blocks from my home. Although I am known as a surgical PA, I have had 16 years of emergency medicine and primary care. I feel more than qualified but have always hated the EMR's as they prevented me from introducing my own materials or ideas. Are they getting any better? I will still be a speaker, author consultant and SPA but I think my Surgeon partner only has a year or two left in him and I love medicine enough to practice until I expire and they have to rip that stethoscope from my cold , dead hands.

Bob

Can you clarify what you mean by the EMRs "preventing you form introducing my own material or ideas"?? I'm not sure entirely what you mean by that....

• Administrator

I'm using EPIC and anything I do more than about five times, I write a macro to do it faster. If I don't like the system's default text, I change it and do my own. I've seen checkbox-based EMRs like Allscripts that don't seem to allow that level of flexibility.

Bob - you are mostly at the mercy of the UC, and what EHR they have invested in. If they are not using any EHR at this point, then there are options. If they have been around a awhile, they have probably invested in some older, less functional EHR, which for the most part would be painful and inefficient to use. Most facilities, once the get invested in an EHR, are loath to transition to something else because of the cost and pain associated with a transition.

And yes, they are getting tremendously better. Look at DrChrono.com.

Archived