NYU 3 year MD program

The interesting thing is a UK trained physician (MBBS) can come to the states after just 5 years of a combined college/medical training, take the USLME exams, and obtain a residency. That would save them many years from the "normal" American route. I am very much under the impression that a true 2 year PA->MD/DO program can be established and gain accreditation, provided the educational standards are non-compromising and right consultants are brought on board.

The biggest hurdle, I think, is successfully passing the USMLE exams. They are designed for the MD and a bridge program might have to become an intensive 1 year USMLE Step 1 review. Very possible, just intense. The COMLEX would require OMM knowledge but as I understand it the COMLEX has higher pass rates.

The other option is as I said above, creating a new clinical doctoral level that would feed into MD and DO residencies. For this it may require a joint venture with the DNP programs.

I believe they are getting rid of the comlex anyway since MD and DO are now joining, I think. Read it somewhere on the Internet so maybe it was just BS.

I believe they are getting rid of the comlex anyway since MD and DO are now joining, I think. Read it somewhere on the Internet so maybe it was just BS.

They are joining as far as accreditation purposes, meaning instead of having both the LCME and the AOA it will be a single authority. As far as licensing exams I have heard they will still be separate as the COMLEX tests OMM while the USMLE does not.

Archived