Neurosurgery Offer

I recently graduated from a surgical residency program, so I have a year of broad surgical experience (roughly 3-4 months strictly in neurosurgery). This is the final offer with a private neurosurgery group in the southeast.

Base salary: $85,000
Bi-annual bonuses: have ranged from $2500-3000 per bonus 
Additional call pay: rates are standard among mid-levels and vary depending on the call shift.  Average additional call pay is roughly $20k.
Malpractice: covered by group
Health/Dental/Vision: mostly covered by group 
Life insurance/disability: covered by group
401k/Profit sharing: after one year of employment
PTO: 5 weeks (includes 6 holidays and sick time)
CME: 1 week/year + $3,000
DEA/Licensing/Professional memberships: covered by the group

Thoughts?

I recently graduated from the Norwalk/Yale surgical residency program, so I have a year of broad surgical experience (roughly 3-4 months strictly in neurosurgery). This is the final offer with a large private neurosurgery group in NC.

Base salary: $85,000

Bi-annual bonuses: have ranged from $2500-3000 per bonus over past 2 years

Additional call pay: rates are standard among mid-levels and vary depending on the call shift (potential to earn an additional $10k - $40k). Plenty of extra call shifts available that other mid-levels have given up. Average additional call pay is roughly $20k.

Malpractice: covered by group

Health/Dental/Vision: mostly covered by group (would be roughly $1,000 out of my pocket per year)

Life insurance/disability: covered by group

401k/Profit sharing: after one year of employment

PTO: 25 days (includes 6 holidays and sick time)

CME: 8 days/year + $3,000

DEA/Licensing/Professional memberships: covered by the group

Overall, I think it is a pretty fair offer and will be a great opportunity for me coming out of residency. I would have liked a little better base salary, but the bonuses should make up for that. There is a 4-6 month training period before they approve me to take call (which shows me they are invested in their employees and willing to get you up to speed before cutting you loose).

Thoughts?

As a 1st year student I probably don't know much, but I do analyze the feedback veteran PA-Cs give around here. I want to say that is a pretty nice contract for a new grad. I know I personally would spring at it. Especially with all the opportunity to bring in extra cash to help pay off loans by way of pulling call -- seems like a win there too!

But what do I know? I'm sure someone more experienced will find some flaws in your offer :)

They came up some on the base salary after a counter offer. Ideally, I would have liked to have a base around 90-95, but I think the bonuses will make up the difference (though I know they're certainly not guaranteed). I am the first residency trained PA they will be hiring as far as I know (out of 20+ mid-levels), so my plan is to negotiate an appropriate raise after my first year to make up the difference. At this point, scope of practice/setting takes precedence to a slightly higher base salary for me. I know I will be able to prove my worth after a few short months with the group..

Neurosurgery PA here.

Will be caution w/ all the # flying around. Evry thing must be clearly stated/written in your contract.

$95+ are typical base (esp in private practice). Academic CTR expect lwr base.

AAPA salary survey are invaluable tools for negotiating salary.

I agreed, your base could have been better given that you're fresh out of PA residency training.

In your shoe, I will renegotiate for $95 starting base. 0.2c

I think this is a lower to average offer for a NEW grad out of school. As you took the time and effort to go through residency, this in my humble and not trying to be negative opinion, is very low. You can't look at call paid as part of the salary as this is EXTRA and requires EXTRA time. Also I would be hesitant to just blow off the initial negotiation phase thinking "I'll negotiate later." If you start low you will never be able to negotiate a competitive compensation the next year. Won't happen. I think you are pretty set on this job from your post but honestly I would try and negotiate.

Thanks for the reply. I completely agree..the initial base salary offer was in the ballpark for a new graduate. I talked with them at length about my training and the experiences I've gained over the past year. I emphasized that this base still isn't appropriate for someone with surgical residency training. They have come up some from their initial offer, but I did counter their most recent offer prior to my OP. I should hear something from them soon..

As a side note, I have looked at the 2010 AAPA salary survery, but it doesn't really give much data on neurosurgery.

Archived