Possible volunteer involving patient care

I am a first-year college student and would like to start gathering my hours next semester b/c I will be transferring to a state university that is in close proximity to many hospitals.

Does volunteering at a nursing home count towards direct patient care?

Or do I need to first get a CNA certificate?

And are there any other places that are accepting of college volunteers or will make me competitive in the application process?

Thanks!

Usually to get direct patient care...hands on....its going to be a paying job. Most volunteer opportunities do not allow for it (of course there are exceptions to everything) its a HIPAA and insurance/liability thing. Especially with a nursing home I think most volunteers read books, help with activities and things like that while the CNAs are the hands on--ofcourse I didnt work in a nursing home sooooo the ones in your area could be different.

I would say, if youre going to take the time to get a certification, then why not get a paying job with it. Get a job, work FT or PT all the way through school while handling a solid courseload shows a lot, plus, with paying jobs you have a better chance for cross-training and such meaning a chance to learn more skills.

Archived