St. John's undergrad program

Has anyone tried to get into the undergrad program at St. John? How Competitive is it? Is there anybody here who attend this program? I am curious about the undergrad part specifically, not the professional program. I am just starting my way towards PA school and this almost seems to be to good to be true. I heard all you need is a 2.75 to automatically transfer to the professional program? Not that most people would need it but wow, what a nice safety net to fall back on. Not to mention skipping the stress of traveling, interviewing, waiting, and wondering if you will be chosen amongst the other thousands. Any input?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Congradulations! There is a certain GPA you have to maintain throughout the pre-PA program. I believe it to be 2.7 but I'm not positive. It's all on their website. If you meet certain criteria such as GPA and HCE you are guaranteed an interview and from what I have heard most of their professional phase spots go to the St. John's pre-PA majors. It sounds like you pretty much have to totally botch the interview not to continue on to the pro phase. Congratulations again! I hope you can grasp how great of an opportunity this is for you. I just receied word that I didn't get in :( I was trying to transfer in as a sophomore though.

hellooo =) im currently a sophmore (last semester before all hell breaks loose)

2.7 sounds like a piece of cake to maintain BUT BOY IS IT HARD! if you decide to become a johnnie let me warn you right now it gets intense. techincally you are guranteed a seat third year IF and only IF you maintain a 2.7 and ofcourse dont bomb the interview. its a nice campus, its a good program and heck the fact that your done in 4 years and (most grad get really good jobs) is amazing.

Highsierrasmith, even if you dont get in now, you can always transfer in. Its worth it i believe but then again this semester is make or break for alot of people. I wish you guys luck and remember that you will def need to be on top of your game

St.John's program is a good program to start as an undergrad. I recently graduated '12. When I started in 2008 the undergrad requirement was 3.0 gpa. But our 2nd year they dropped it to 2.7. You will think it is easy but it is not. Especially the 3rd semester with anatomy, chemistry and microbiology. These 3 classes have labs..so 3 labs every week 3 hours each. And if you are struggling as a pre pa at stjohn's you will have difficult time once you start the program. You need to have good GPA as a Pre-PA so you have some cushioning when you start PA school. They improved the program with our class. PANCE rating went up significantly for our class. And if you are able to complete it properly you can start working and make a lot of money while doing a post professional online Masters PA program which a lot of employers will pay for.

• 1 month later...

First of all, thank you for your insight about the program. I am debating between St. John's, Philadelphia University and Hofstra. After visiting all three, St. John's was my favorite, followed by, Philly U then Hofstra. Philadelphia University has the highest ranking for the professional program and it is a 5 year masters program. They require a 3.2 GPA, however their attrition rate is only 10%. STJ is 50%...which seems huge to me. Can you give me some insight why the attrition rate is so high, other than whay you mentioned. I dont want to go to a school where I am constantly competing for a spot in the professional phase. I would rather be in a program that encourages working together etc. STJ did not seem that way to me but when I saw the stats of continuing students it made me worry it was very cut throat. I was under the impression that STJ only accepted students into the program with high GPA and test scores is that not the case?

Also do most graduates work in the NY area? What is the average starting salary?

Thanks again...any insight would help.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know what St. John's requires? I already have a BA with a GPA of 3.43 but no hours shadowing. Is this a requirement or do they only take people based on GPA? I found no info on their website helpful and I'm not even sure what the GPA of accepted students are?

Archived