Podiatry Tech as HCE?

Hey all, my little brother is considering going for PA school and I'm stumped. He recently got a job as a tech in a podiatrists office - he'll be taking intake histories, prepping patients for procedures and surgeries, and generally setting up and cleaning up, and helping with charts (basically what an MA does as far as I understand).

My question is - does this seem like sufficient HCE to apply for school? He's got most of his pre-reqs left, so he'll be able to accumulate several hundred hours by the time he would be ready to apply. I got my hours working as an EMT and at an HIV clinic - neither of those are viable options for him (he's working full time and taking classes, totally supporting himself, so he can't take a gamble and not work while taking EMT class, etc).

I've discussed it with some of my classmates, and we all seem to think that a hospital job would be better, but this way he could work and go to school without having to do overnight shifts, etc... So forum-land, what do you think?

I work in wound care, and one of the MAs in our clinic was a podiatry tech before she came here. She said that she got to do a lot in that position - first assisting with surgical procedures, providing follow up wound care, lots of dressing changes/wraps, etc. On a daily basis she was also taking vitals and providing patient education. Since most schools are concerned with direct, hands on patient care (however you can get it!), he should definitely be ok. Have him triple-check w programs that he is interested in, but this should count.

Archived