Community Health Center salary negotiation - Clinical Director

Hi. I was offered a role as co-clinical director of a large community health center in a rural setting. The center has 10 clinicians, an in-office lab and x-ray. My role is shared with a physician who has been performing this job for about 3 years. My current salary is approx. $67,000. They have offered me a whopping $500 annually to perform this new role. I also get 2 hours a week administrative time to write meeting agendas, etc. My plan is to ask them to pay for some professional development training. Should I ask for more compensation too?

Ack, typo on salary. It's actually $72,000. I also get 4 weeks paid time off and $2500 CME. And it qualifies for loan repayment (but that technically should not affect salary). I think it's pretty low as well, but this is a rural place so I understand. Cost of living is low. $500 though was a surprise.

I would be responsible for new ACP evaluations for 30-60-90 days. I will run the monthly staff meeting for clinicians. I will handle patient complaints with the center manager, determine patient divorces for no-shows and for other reasons. All this while still seeing 3-4 patients an hour. It seems like a lot.

This is not a lot. Even in extreme northern Michigan, at a FQHC the PAs make 82K with potential for a bonus and no administrative duties. Most of the clinicians there actually spend 10 hours daily on patient care (8 hours seeing patients and 2 hours doing call backs, EHR, etc.). Often they are charting from home at 10pm. I mean, given that it is essentially a 50 hour a week job, your hourly pay is way under par even for an experienced RN.

Being in a rural location does not mean it is OK to take a low salary. It should be the opposite actually as you are sacrificing location so should get paid more. Off of my last 10 e-mails this past week for rural locations, all are well over 100k... Honestly this is a joke of a salary and this new role sounds like A LOT of work with very little compensation.

• 4 weeks later...
Being in a rural location does not mean it is OK to take a low salary. It should be the opposite actually as you are sacrificing location so should get paid more. Off of my last 10 e-mails this past week for rural locations, all are well over 100k... Honestly this is a joke of a salary and this new role sounds like A LOT of work with very little compensation.

Agree,

There are to many PA offers being thrown around that pay in the 80s

Archived