Duel degree MPAP/MSPH

Has anyone gone the duel degree route?? I have to make a decision ASAP as I have an interview in the next few weeks. The MPAP program is rough enough let alone adding another year to get the Masters of Science in Public Health. Anyone have any suggestions, Pros/Cons to share??? Right now I really just want to be a primary care provider but am fully aware that the MSPH may come in handy later but I am already mid-30s so really will I have time for "later"?

Which may be a year wasted if you have no plans to utilize it. It depends upon your career goals, most of which you probably have no clue since you have yet to begin PA school. If it were me, I'd think long and hard about it. Which would you regret more; graduating a year early and wishing you got the MPH or having an extra year of school and wishing you could practice a year earlier?

I have been a medic for 10+ years and have moved into admin and I know my heart lies with patient care. But as I am not in PA school nor practicing right now it is hard to say one way or the other. I do not want to pass up an opportunity that may be useful later I am just not sure it will be. I also have a young family who will be experiencing this process with me, good and bad.

If your heart lies in pt care, that may be the answer. The MSPH is another step toward administration and taking you out of the realm of pt care. You have enough clinical experience to know where your bread is buttered. Having a family also adds another wrinkle. Most people find it damn near impossible to work while in PA school because of time and energy constraints. Another year in a program is not only another year not practicing and making money but another distracted year away from your family.

HOWEVER, having said all that, if you're on the fence and you feel like passing this up is something you're always going to regret, then go with your gut and do the extra year. Nothing hurts worse than regret.

Archived