Clinical difference in using Hct vs Hgb ?

Clinically, how do you look at Hct and Hgb values differently? I know the general rule of thumb that Hct is 3 times Hgb. And I've heard you tend to transfuse if Hgb drops below 8 (or Hct of 24). But can one of these values tell you something the other can't, or clinically, are they interchangable?

pretty interchangeable for practical purposes.

some folks(like internists) think in hct and get excited when it goes from 30 to 29.

other folks(like me) think in hb and get excited when it drops below 9....or in Haiti, below 6...(lots of folks walk around all the time there with 7/21)

Rule of 3 is roughly accurate.

Hb is the O2-carrying capacity of RBCs.

Hct the volume of cells in blood.

Not truly interchangeable as they measure different things but practically can be considered together.

Anemia is, strictly speaking, decreased circulating RBCs, but not practical to think of this way so we use H&H.

#1 rule of transfusion: transfuse only symptomatic people. Someone acclimated to a Hb of 7.5 is at greater risk of adverse rxn to transfusion than they are from their asymptomatic anemia.

Archived