tips for new grad starting general surgery in a trauma I center?

Hi everyone, is there suggestions about what I should prepare for/what to expect before I start my 1st job as a general surgery PA?

The institution is a trauma I center, I was told that I will be treated like a resident and I will be doing pre, intra, post-op work with varying shift about 40hrs/wk.

I have about 1 week before I start and I don't know what I should do besides reading surgical recall. I know that working as a PA will be totally different than being a student. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Jump in a do everything you have the opportunity to do! If someone asks if you want to do a chest tube, say "Absolutely, if you help me!" Don't be afraid to jump in and get your hands dirty. Make friends early on with the staff (therapists, nurses, and even security!) They will help you not look like a fool to your attendings, if you get on their good side. Learn about "fluid status" of patients early on. Needing to know whether to give fluid or lasix or do nothing at all will be a choice you have to make over, and over, and over....

• 1 year later...

Keep index cards in your pocket. Write down the subjects/topics that you find yourself stumped on during the day. Then look it up later on. AFTER you read about it, discuss it with your senior colleagues.

To even go one step further, what I did was write it down afterwards. I have been keeping notes since I finished PA school and have almost 300 pages which I still refer to.

Archived