Prospective Student Questions

Tried emailing two faculty members, but I haven't heard back and I'm on a bit of a time crunch as I pick between schools. I have some further questions, maybe someone here knows the answer to. Thanks!

I am very much interested in Arcadia's global opportunities. Is doing one clinical rotation abroad guaranteed for an interested student in good academic standing?

Are these global opportunities separate from the Guatemalan mission trip? Is it possible to do both? How are students selected to go and when does this trip occur?

I was told that 6 months of the clinical year needs to be with rotation sites within 90 miles of campus, is this accurate? How flexible can I be for the other rotations? I was interested in doing something along the lines of working on an Indian Reservation in the Mid West or in rural Appalachia.

And finally, I was interested to know what kind of community outreach/service projects your students routinely participate in. I know the intensity of the program limits students' availability, but I was interested in participating or coordinating service to our local community.

Yes, if you want to do a rotation abroad, you choose it for one of your 3 electives. As for guaranteed, they will work as hard as they can to make it work, but sometimes events out of their control may change things. For example, a couple years ago a student was supposed to go to Egypt but it had to be cancelled because it would have been too dangerous for him/her to go there.

I'm not familiar with the Guatemalan mission trip. I know there is an international rotation in Guatemala. I'm sure you could also set up a mission trip abroad during a break. I think our class tried to but it fell through. Also, regarding community outreach/service projects, if you run for a SAAAPA officer position such as vice president, you can coordinate as many projects as you want!

As for rotations, your flexibility for your potential 6 months outside of that 90 mile radius depends on what you do when. They have an internal medicine rotation available in Cherokee, NC which is a 4 week rotation and I don't think it would count as one of your 3 externals. I mentioned before you can set up 3 external rotations, which basically means a rotation you would like to do that isn't on the preceptor directory. To maximize my time outside of there area, I chose to set up the the longer rotations (family medicine and emergency medicine) for my externals.

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

I second C0untingstars response. I'll add that there is an application and interview for the international rotations. They are NOT guaranteed, but they DO work as hard as possible for students that want to go. The process is not to weed you out- but to make sure that you don't think you are going to be on a beach in Fiji sipping on a cocktail, lol. You also can try to set up your own rotation abroad. So, if there is somewhere you want to go, but that they don't have on the 'list' you can try to make that happen and they are happy to do it. It may leave a door open for future students to go there.

Also, it looks like we will be doing a Global Brigades trip this year as well. So, if there are enough people next year you might be able to do that as a kind of mission trip. The location changes I think- this year I want to say it is Panama, but don't quote me. The cost is out of pocket, but you can possibly fundraise.

• 1 year later...

Hi medicine2014, congrats on the interview! It's a great program. Assuming the format hasn't changed from last year, there are no essays required, just a brief one on one interview with one of the faculty members. The real majority of the day is spent explaining the curriculum and answering any questions you all have, followed by the opportunity to sit in on one of our classes. It's a very relaxed process, just be yourself and learn as much as you can. Fell free to PM me if you have any other questions! Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I just had an interview in this month for Arcadia. Like msmagraw said, there are no essays and the first couple of hours are just explaining the program and clinical rotations. Afterwards you go on a short tour followed by a ~15 min 1:1 interview with a faculty. Mine was very relaxed and seemed more like a conversation. This is followed by lunch and the chance to sit in on a class. It was a very personal experience, relaxing (although I was nervous), and just be genuine and let them know about yourself. Good luck! 

Archived