Current/Accepted Students - Housing?

I am trying to figure out the best option for housing as well as ill be moving from Tennessee to start school in march. From what I heard at the interview, Cornell housing seems to be the cheapest and easiest option if it's available. I feel like finding an apartment nearby with a group of students would also be a good option, but from talking with friends it's hard to find places very far in advance and without being there in person. Who knows... Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I'm also coming from kind of far away, so I won't be able to check out apartments either prior to choosing a place. Like caitegiles said, I don't think we'll find a deal as good as Cornell housing in such a prime location. Going with campus housing would be an easy, inexpensive option and it's looking awfully inviting because some of the places actually look pretty nice (not like dorms). Time will tell...

I hear that for off campus housing, it's best to use a broker. I know someone who did his residency at Cornell and lived in the campus housing. He said it was a good amount of space for NY and it was a very affordable option and great location. I hear they have an underground tunnel to the hospital so you don't even have to see the light of day! ;)

I remember asking about housing and someone said you might not get in until your a few months into the first year! That freaked me out a little. Im moving from Canada but its about an hour flight/8hour drive to NYC. Ive been on craigslist and there are some decent looking places (4bed 2bath) for around 900 each. I just dont want to get stuck in the twin bed/desk/shared bath dorms so I was looking into some options. Also is their a facebook group yet? If not we should start one.

so housing through cornell can get frustrating, since the women that is in charge of it is not the "fastest" about it. basically, everyone that wanted it and applied right away, got it. i only live 45min away and i had no trouble getting the student housing, so if you are further than that, its pretty much guaranteed. it takes a little longer for the women in the class, since there are 3x as many females than males, but everyone got it. It is MUCH cheaper than you would pay for a "real" nyc apartment, and they are a very good size. plus you live with other students (pa, med, graduate) so its a good atmosphere. and if you do decide to not go with student housing, you'll need to come to the city about a month before classes start to look. apartments go very fast here, so you cant look very far in advanced. and a broker is your best bet

By just looking real quick on craigslist, there seem to be some good deals if you have the time and are close enough to go and look at them in person..km07cq, I'm too far away also to take a weekend to go look at places which is why I feel like Cornell housing is appealing. I talked to a former student and she said she knew of only 1 person who was in the typical "dorm-style" apartment and that was only for the 1st month until they moved her into a permanent apartment.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all.. Sorry I'm late to the forum..! I'm from the NJ metro area and from looking at apartments just in my area I can tell you that it would certainly be a better option to live on their "campus". There are certainly a lot of cheap apartments out there, but you get what you pay for in terms of location. NY/Bronx/Brooklyn/NJ can certainly have some very nice areas but go one street over and it gets sketchy. A cheap apartment might mean an unsafe area. I will probably apply for campus housing.. we have to wait till January? If for some reason we don't get rooms I can volunteer to physically visit potential apartments if we want to get together and go off campus!

Current students, just curious.. is it feasable to live over the bridge in Jersey and commute to class/clinical sites?

Hi everyone! I live in Elmhurst, Queens, and it's about a 45 minute commute for me, door to door. (It does take an extra 15-30 minutes to get to the hospital.) I live at home, so it's good b/c PA school is $$$! But if you are going to move anyway, I recommend dorming because it's definitely cheaper than Manhattan apartments. One of my classmates live in the dorm Lasdon on the 2nd floor. I think she pays about $700 something. I heard top floors are more expensive.

If you are from a far distance and looking to make new friends (in their 20's) and connect, then I think dorming is great because your classmates will go out for drinks and it's so much more convenient when you live in the vicinity. Whereas I'm off-campus so I do sometimes feel like it's a challenge for me to hang out with people since I have to make the trek home. Plus when you're taking Anatomy, it's so convenient to walk across the street - it's a HUGE advantage when time is scarce and you want to get some extra time with the cadavers. It's right across from the hospital so that's great when you're doing clinical mornings on Thursdays and rotations during clinical year. For regular class, it's about a 30 minute walk from the dorms, or you can take the 6 train 2 stops.

Archived