Should I apply next fall? What are my chances?

I'm hoping you can help me determine my chances of having a successful application cycle next fall, and maybe offer some advice as to what might strengthen my chances.

I graduated in December 2011 with a BA in Anthropology from a public state school, cumulative GPA 3.68.

This fall I began taking prerequisite courses at a community college to apply to an accelerated BSN in Nursing. But, after volunteering at a hospital and carefully considering my longterm career goals, I discovered that I want to be a PA.

This semester, I am taking 19 credit hours with a 4.0 in:

-Anatomy & Physiology I

-Microbiology

-Human Nutrition

-General Psychology

-Introductory Chemistry (this was required for the nursing program I initially began taking the courses for, it isn't accepted by most PA schools as it's not for science majors but I figured that finishing it with an A would look much better than withdrawing from a course on my transcripts)

In the spring, I'm also taking 19 credit hours and expect a 4.0 in:

-Anatomy & Physiology II

-General Chem I

-Human Growth & Development (a Psych course)

-Certified Nursing Assistant course (7 credit hours)

In the summer I'll take General Chem II and Statistics, with Organic Chem I next fall and either Organic Chem II or Biochem in the following spring (or both).

I volunteer at two hospitals, one shift in the ER at one a week and another shift in the ICU of the other hospital a week as well. I will continue volunteering and plan to shadow some PAs and MDs at the hospital as well. I also intend on working as a PCT at a hospital after I finish the CNA course next summer.

Should I apply next fall? What are my chances of having a successful application cycle? Will it look bad that all of my science courses are coming from a community college even though my science GPA is high? Can you offer any suggestions, criticisms, advice, or any words of wisdom?

Check with the schools you plan on applying to, because many do NOT accept credits from a community college. I know I have seen on a lot of the schools' websites that your pre-req courses must come from a 4-year college. You'll also have to look at each individual school to see what classes they require, and how many you can have outstanding at the time you apply. The app cycle begins in the spring, so it looks like you'd still have Organic Chem & Statistics to take at that time. There may be a few schools you could apply to. If not, you will be good for the following year. I'd say your stats look great, and as long as you have a good personal statement and LOR's, you should get some interviews.

This site is a great resource to see what pre-reqs are required at each school: http://physician-assistant-ed.com/

Check with the schools you plan on applying to, because many do NOT accept credits from a community college. I know I have seen on a lot of the schools' websites that your pre-req courses must come from a 4-year college. You'll also have to look at each individual school to see what classes they require, and how many you can have outstanding at the time you apply. The app cycle begins in the spring, so it looks like you'd still have Organic Chem & Statistics to take at that time. There may be a few schools you could apply to. If not, you will be good for the following year. I'd say your stats look great, and as long as you have a good personal statement and LOR's, you should get some interviews.

This site is a great resource to see what pre-reqs are required at each school: http://physician-assistant-ed.com/

Most schools will accept pre-reqs from a CC.

All of the schools I'm interested in applying to accept CC courses, I've only ran into a couple that won't, which coincidentally I'm not interested in applying to anyways. The only issue is I'm worried about is that- while they'll accept them- are they more inclined to accept a candidate with science prereqs from a 4 year school as opposed to a CC? What is the general attitude towards CC science courses? When comparing, for example, my anatomy class to that of a 4 year school, I don't see any difference in the level of difficulty- the material is the same.

I ask because I'm considering taking the organic chemistry and biochemistry classes at the same institution I got my bachelor's at-- but it is over 3x the price and so if most PA programs consider them to be equal or almost equal, is it worth spending more $$ when my chances of acceptance are not much different?

All of the schools I'm interested in applying to accept CC courses, I've only ran into a couple that won't, which coincidentally I'm not interested in applying to anyways. The only issue is I'm worried about is that- while they'll accept them- are they more inclined to accept a candidate with science prereqs from a 4 year school as opposed to a CC? What is the general attitude towards CC science courses? When comparing, for example, my anatomy class to that of a 4 year school, I don't see any difference in the level of difficulty- the material is the same.

I ask because I'm considering taking the organic chemistry and biochemistry classes at the same institution I got my bachelor's at-- but it is over 3x the price and so if most PA programs consider them to be equal or almost equal, is it worth spending more $$ when my chances of acceptance are not much different?

The question of whether or not PA schools favor prerequisites from a 4 year university compared to a cc has been discussed a bunch of times throughout this forum so I'd recommend you check out some previous postings. In short, almost every program will tell you they do not give any weight towards courses completed at a 4 year university compared to a community college. Avoid intro to X classes and of course any 300 or 400 level prerequisites must be completed at a university but depending on the reputation of the community college, you should have no problem knocking out the courses you listed at a community college. My only recommendation as far as your earlier post regarding if you should apply next Fall is to try to get some paid healthcare experience prior to submitting your application. Some programs will not accept volunteer hours as patient contact hours.

Also, you might look into taking the GRE too. Some schools require it and some don't. However, a majority do. Just do your homework on that. When I went to Western University in Pomona, Ca for preview day they said they were going to require the GRE in the future, but when was a question. They currently don't require it.

Also, you might look into taking the GRE too. Some schools require it and some don't. However, a majority do. Just do your homework on that. When I went to Western University in Pomona, Ca for preview day they said they were going to require the GRE in the future, but when was a question. They currently don't require it.

I do intend on taking the GRE this summer, forgot to mention it-- but thanks :)!

The only issue is I'm worried about is that- while they'll accept them- are they more inclined to accept a candidate with science prereqs from a 4 year school as opposed to a CC?

I'm not a PA AdCom nor a PA student, but from what I've read the general consensus is that it doesn't make much of a difference. University pre-reqs may be preferred but they don't make-or-break an application. The application process is multifaceted to deal with discrepancies such as these. The healthcare experience is a strong indicator of dedication and definitely weighs heavily on an application. GRE's, LOR's, shadowing/volunteering also contribute to AdCom decision making. Then, of course, there's the interview.

All of these things factor into acceptance decisions and, to my knowledge, the difference between CC/University is not that great so long as you do well.

Archived