New grad - job specialty pigeonhole?

Hi,

I'm a new grad who is interested in working in primary care. I have been exploring specialty job postings due to the lack of available primary care postings for new grads in my area (I'm not willing to move). I'm entertaining a possible offer in pain management (Workers Comp-heavy; competitive compensation package) but I'm worried that if I take this position and work in this specialty for a few years, that it will be difficult for me to be marketable for primary care positions in the future. I know that knowledge in pain management would be a good skill set for primary care (or any other field), which is why I'm considering taking this job. But I wonder if primary care (family med/internal med, and not quite primary care but EM) hiring managers/Docs/PAs would not consider me a competitive candidate in the future due to my specialty experience?

I'd really appreciate any feedback or comments from seasoned veterans. Thank you very much.

side note from talking with folks who have worked there: zoom care is the devil. soul sucking, underappreciated work.

to the o.p. : keep your hand in the primary care market somehow as Steve mentioned by working per diem in an fp practice or volunteering at a free clinic. think long and hard before you take a full time job in pain management. it isn't an easy job and although some of your pts will be legitimate and you will be providing them a great service others will not be legitimate and will be using every trick in the book to scam you for controlled substances.....consider yourself warned...

Pain management that is Workers Comp. heavy? Are they co-located in a building of attorneys? Want to deal with the most demanding patients in the world? Ready for a steady stream of drug seeking patients?

I think I would wait for something more mainstream as a new grad.

The state of Michigan allows DPM's to be supervising physicians, but you must work only in podiatry. It would pigeonhole you just like another specialty. A few other state allow DPM's to supervise if they are in a group practice with MD/DO's.

The state of Michigan allows DPM's to be supervising physicians, but you must work only in podiatry. It would pigeonhole you just like another specialty. A few other state allow DPM's to supervise if they are in a group practice with MD/DO's.

Does that make you a podiatrist asst.?.....:)

LOL. DPM's go by doctor, so guess it would make us doctor's assistant!!!

BTW: Shouldn't MI law make us all a bit worried that someday, if we don't make a change to our supervision laws and name, that we will be "supervised" by DNPs?

Unless you really like pain management I would be cautious about going into it as a new grad. It takes a fair amount of seasoning to be able to manage the psychosocial issues and need for clear boundaries in pain management, and at least for me, it took a number of years in primary care for me to get my antennae working in terms of who's running a game, and my skills in place to deal with the gaming without getting my energy sucked out. And it's unfortunately a great way to lose your primary care skills. I would agree with everyone who suggested a side gig in primary/family medicine.

• 6 months later...

I went into PM right after graduation. It is interventional PM. Procedure heavy, opioid light. We successfully move patients away from opioid, at least those who want to. What has been said about PM is true about the patient population. BUT if you have clearly defined parameters that all providers follow, it works and drug seekers will self discharge once they realize pills don't come easy. If they truly want help they will get it. If they truly want opioids they won't unless there is a valid reason and proper use. Drug seekers and abusers will declare themselves fairly quickly if you do proper management.

As far as a new grad job, I was extremely fortunate to find this job. Terrific SP and team. Best place I have worked since working Burger King at 16 yeas old. I am 37 and have worked alot of places. You still get exposure to a lot of neuro and other areas. Working with a heavy work comp well drain you. We do not do any of that except providing procedures. Stats show 6+ months on disability equals 70% or so will never return to work. We try to avoid crippling people mentally with the disabled tag.

Incidentally for many family and personal reasons I am resigning and moving back to home state. It has nothing to do with the clinic, patients, and definitely not with staff. Message me if anyone is interested in it. It is in Salem, OR. Amazingly fun job and great small but not too small city. Or let me know if you have any questions generally about PM.

Archived