PCOM Class of 2015 - YAY!!!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Class of 2015! I am in the Class of 2014 :) First, a MASSIVE Congratulations is in order!!!! This is a huge accomplishment, you should be so very proud of yourselves!! I know you still have a little more then 6 months until your first term starts, but feel free to message/post questions that you may have now or later. I will do my best to answer them. We cannot wait to meet you guys this coming summer! :D

Hi Maribel!

I think it was you who took me and 2 others on the tour during interview day :) I've just been accepted!! i can't wait to meet everyone in my class and yours-- so thrilled that I got into my first choice. I'm now looking into apartments within walking distance to pcom, do you have any suggestions? How early should I get my apartment search started? Thank you for the tour and for offering to answer our questions :)

To my fellow Class of 2015-- YAYYYYY I'm so excited to meet you all!

Linda

Congrats Linda! You are more then welcome for the tour :) As for the apartments: I live in Presidential City, my experience has been good here, I live in a studio, my apt has carpet which is rare, but I am loving having it. My place is very quiet, the 2-4th floors house many people with disabilities/disorders, other then a few awkward conversations with some of those residents I cannot complain, would try to avoid one of those floors so its more quiet. Parking no problem here and 10-15 min easy walk to class. I began this time last year searching, so I could be placed on a waiting list...I say start early or at least if you contact places they can give you more info. My close study-buddy lives in Lincoln Green and has no problems there :). Hope this gets you off to a good start :)

@ blblue-

Congrats on the interview invitation! I personally think the program here is excellent (thus far :). I started in early June. As far as advice for the interview: remember you have been invited here, they already think your worthy to be here judging by your paperwork, now they want to see how you are in person. Be honest if you do not know something. Do not insult another h/c provider type, does not reflect well. And of course really think about why you want PCOM...is it b/c of the campus? Board pass rates? etc... As for things they like to see in a candidate, we all wonder what they value lol... our class is very diverse so it is tough to say....Hope this helps!

Congratulations on getting accepted everyone! I have just received an interview at pcom on dec 4th! I have already been accepted into nova southeastern ft. Myers campus and am still awaiting word back from pace university. To those that are in the program at pcom does the college emphasize osteopathic methods in its didactic year and though processes when evaluation/prescribing treatments, or do they keep that strictly for their D.O program. Just curious to know because I am not a big advocate of masking symptoms with medicine and would rather focus on preventative medicine. Also I have heard that the classrooms are all filled with computers for all their students and that pcom has a cadaver lab which the school I have been accepted to does not. Are there any other reasons why I should consider interviewing at pcom? I just don't want to spend the money on a plane ticket without knowing some more facts!

Thank you for your responses:)

@ gbphel4828-

1. To those that are in the program at pcom does the college emphasize osteopathic methods in its didactic year and though processes when evaluation/prescribing treatments, or do they keep that strictly for their D.O program.

-I would have to say no, and they(the school) have said the same. The whole osteopathic methods seems to stay with the D.O.'s...most of our lectures are instructed by out PA-C staff.

2.Also I have heard that the classrooms are all filled with computers for all their students and that pcom has a cadaver lab which the school I have been accepted to does not.

-We have our own computers in class, but they are not provided in lectures... we of course have a couple of computer labs. In the lecture rooms there are plenty of electrical outlets tho

-We do have a cadaver lab. The cadavers are NOT pro-sected (already dissected). My class was in groups of 8, with alternating dissection dates (4 students dissect at a time). Basically every other day you were dissecting. We have 24 access to the cadaver lab which is a plus (I usually studied in there from 10p-2am)

3.Are there any other reasons why I should consider interviewing at pcom?

-There are many reasons I enjoy this school and believe it is a good program...check out our board pass rates (100% first-time this past year)...we have out of state rotation options...it all depends what you are looking for in a school and if it is the right fit for you. Personally I did not realize how happy I was with my decision until after being here a few months...

Hope this helps! If you have any more specifics I will do my best to answer them, or private message me we can perhaps chat..

@Maribel

Thank you for your prompt response. I have decided to go to the interview for as I believe that PCOM program is superior to Nova Southeastern's Ft. Myers in many categories. They have a 5% higher average on the PANCE, a cadaver lab, and a smaller class size. However, I am upset that they do not teach Osteopathic principles to their PA program but I am loving the fact that you can go out of state to do your clinical rotations!! I sure wouldn’t mind doing my rotations somewhere else much warmer in the winter!!!

Archived