PCOM Class of 2015 - YAY!!!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is there anyway to find out which hospitals PCOM is affiliated with during rotations?

Piggy back.  After talking with two students, I learned the PCOM rotations are more "regional" than "commutable" and that students are encouraged to set up their own rotations (although apparently not required to).  Can anyone out there elaborate on rotation sites?  Great question. 

Hello, current 1st year PCOM student here. In November before our thanksgiving break, we are going to have a meeting to talk about our rotation sites and how to set them up. They give us a list of PCOM affiliated locations, and we get to choose where we want to go. Say you're from Chicago and there isn't a location on the list that is in Chicago; you can contact places in Chicago and try to set up your rotations provided that they meet the NCCPA guidelines for a rotation site. You have roughly 5 months to get formal documentation gathered from the outside location and have it handed in to PCOM, otherwise you must pick your rotations from the PCOM list. Keep in mind, it's not enough to have a practitioner willing to precept you. The organization that they belong to will need to do a host of legal paperwork, which can take time.

It's not impossible to set up your own rotations, and while it's encouraged by PCOM because you're basically doing the hard labor in opening up another PCOM affiliated location, most students just pick from the PCOM locations because it's a headache trying to get each rotation site to adhere to the March deadline to turn paperwork in. With that said, PCOM does have affiliated sites all over the country, so doing a rotation or two outside of Pennsylvania is definitely doable. Now with all of that said, your rotations are also dependent on your performance in PA school. This doesn't mean that your grades are factored into your rotation sites, but if you're a student who has consistently needed help with the curriculum, who may be a fantastic PA but needs constant supervision, the chances are low that you will be going to a rotation site that would put you in an independent position. It's not fair to the student, the rotation site, the patients, and PCOM to set a student up to fail, so your ability to work unsupervised plays a roll in the whole process as well.

With all that said, the bottom line is don't worry about your rotations. I entered PCOM dead set on doing all my rotations in a particular region because it's where I wanted to eventually work, but the longer I've trudged through the didactic year, the more I've come to realize that come rotation year, I won't care where I go just as long as I don't have to sit in a classroom again haha. PCOM has been running their PA program for almost 2 decades now... they know what they are doing and they would never send a student to a rotation site if they didn't feel confident that the student would both do well and learn a great deal. The professors visit you every month to check on how you're doing regardless of location, so there will always be a PCOM presence as you work through your rotations.

I hope this novel of a response helps!

Hello, current 1st year PCOM student here. In November before our thanksgiving break, we are going to have a meeting to talk about our rotation sites and how to set them up. They give us a list of PCOM affiliated locations, and we get to choose where we want to go. Say you're from Chicago and there isn't a location on the list that is in Chicago; you can contact places in Chicago and try to set up your rotations provided that they meet the NCCPA guidelines for a rotation site. You have roughly 5 months to get formal documentation gathered from the outside location and have it handed in to PCOM, otherwise you must pick your rotations from the PCOM list. Keep in mind, it's not enough to have a practitioner willing to precept you. The organization that they belong to will need to do a host of legal paperwork, which can take time.

It's not impossible to set up your own rotations, and while it's encouraged by PCOM because you're basically doing the hard labor in opening up another PCOM affiliated location, most students just pick from the PCOM locations because it's a headache trying to get each rotation site to adhere to the March deadline to turn paperwork in. With that said, PCOM does have affiliated sites all over the country, so doing a rotation or two outside of Pennsylvania is definitely doable. Now with all of that said, your rotations are also dependent on your performance in PA school. This doesn't mean that your grades are factored into your rotation sites, but if you're a student who has consistently needed help with the curriculum, who may be a fantastic PA but needs constant supervision, the chances are low that you will be going to a rotation site that would put you in an independent position. It's not fair to the student, the rotation site, the patients, and PCOM to set a student up to fail, so your ability to work unsupervised plays a roll in the whole process as well.

With all that said, the bottom line is don't worry about your rotations. I entered PCOM dead set on doing all my rotations in a particular region because it's where I wanted to eventually work, but the longer I've trudged through the didactic year, the more I've come to realize that come rotation year, I won't care where I go just as long as I don't have to sit in a classroom again haha. PCOM has been running their PA program for almost 2 decades now... they know what they are doing and they would never send a student to a rotation site if they didn't feel confident that the student would both do well and learn a great deal. The professors visit you every month to check on how you're doing regardless of location, so there will always be a PCOM presence as you work through your rotations.

I hope this novel of a response helps!

Thank you for elaborating, but i do have my mind set on NY region for rotations. Is there any NY hospital affiliated with PCOM list?

I'm sure there are Lisbella,  but because there are so many PA schools in NY (21 total schools), competition for those rotation sites are high. That doesn't mean there won't be any available, I just wouldn't hold your breath if you're hoping to do all of your rotations in NY.

I'm sure there are Lisbella,  but because there are so many PA schools in NY (21 total schools), competition for those rotation sites are high. That doesn't mean there won't be any available, I just wouldn't hold your breath if you're hoping to do all of your rotations in NY.

Thank you nospin29 for your help! I was just hoping PCOM was affiliated with certain NY hospitals because i definitely want to do some of my rotations there. 

Archived