Networking on Rotations

I am a current didactic student that will be starting rotations in May 2024. Majority of my rotations are in the geographical area that I would like to work, and I know networking is a large part of healthcare/getting a job as a new graduate student. What are some recommendations on the best way to network yourself, outside of being professional and showing good work ethic etc.? 

Email preceptors to introduce yourself and ask important questions regarding the rotation, review rotation-specific topics before you start the rotation, be personable, show interest, offer/step in to help whenever you can, be open to all fields, think of it as a several-weeklong job interview and trial as what it might be like working in that field as a PA, show up early and stay late, prepare for the next day, review cases/topics from the day and present any follow-up stuff to your preceptor, learn from all levels of staff, give out your CV, and stay in touch with your preceptors.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2024 at 9:09 AM, SedRate said:

Email preceptors to introduce yourself and ask important questions regarding the rotation, review rotation-specific topics before you start the rotation, be personable, show interest, offer/step in to help whenever you can, be open to all fields, think of it as a several-weeklong job interview and trial as what it might be like working in that field as a PA, show up early and stay late, prepare for the next day, review cases/topics from the day and present any follow-up stuff to your preceptor, learn from all levels of staff, give out your CV, and stay in touch with your preceptors.

Ok, thanks. I will keep it in my mind.

Rather than introducing yourself and asking questions by email, I'd suggest you go visit the site a few days before your rotation starts. Here's what I did and what I still advise our students to do:

1. Try to go to every site some time other than the first day you are due to work. (Make an appointment for your visit.) Dress up as if you are on a job interview; I never wore a white coat that day to emphasize that I wasn’t yet working for them. 

2. Ask about things you can do to prepare. The preceptors often gave me references to read (sometimes they even gave me the books too). 

3. This early trip makes things easier on the first day and also set up a good first impression. It also gives you a chance to meet the staff and SEE HOW THE PHYSICIAN DRESSES.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...