patient load?

Hello

Just wanted to see what patient loads are looking like.  I currently work at a place where hospital med PAs do 8 hr shifts as rounders with a hard cap of 8, only rounds no consults/admits (only medical floor patients no ICU).  Admin has suggested that 1 patient an hr is standard.  Also is at a community-based hospital.  Hmm... much different than I have seen in the past.

thanks for any input.

7 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

I do EM.  2 patients/hour is the ballpark standard.  Since I work nights, I may or may not have that many patients come through my department.

Since you're seeing already established patients (no admit) that seems like a very low workload.  I hope they don't keep compensation low to match.

Agree- This is why straight hourly is so important and RVU based compensation is the devil. You can only see patients who show up. I work swings, nights, and 24s. Sometimes we have 0-3 pts on a night shift.

You are worth a decent rate just for being present and available, whether you see 1 patient an hour or 4. You are being paid for your experience and time. Don't sell yourself short. 

• Like 1