Sleep Medicine OSA question

A question is coming up

What is the best iwatch app to screen for OSA

Not going to get into that this is not FDA approved, and the science behind it, just wondering if anyone has tried it

There are a fair number of apps out there

In my practice I am "thinking" there may be a use for screening for OSA by having a garmin or iwatch I can give the patient for a few nights (yes I am aware this is way off label)

I guess I don’t really have an answer to your question, but I would add for consideration a pulse oximeter that records data overnight. In general the reports are more “medical” (often including things like oxygen desaturation index, time spent below 89%, etc.) and they’re less useful to the layman to there would be probably be a lower risk of theft.

What you usually don’t get with these is actigraphy, which all of the smart watches would provide. If you were going for a smart watch, make sure it includes oximetry as not all of them do. Apple and Fitbit are what most of my patients have.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kidpresentable said:

I guess I don’t really have an answer to your question, but I would add for consideration a pulse oximeter that records data overnight. In general the reports are more “medical” (often including things like oxygen desaturation index, time spent below 89%, etc.) and they’re less useful to the layman to there would be probably be a lower risk of theft.

What you usually don’t get with these is actigraphy, which all of the smart watches would provide. If you were going for a smart watch, make sure it includes oximetry as not all of them do. Apple and Fitbit are what most of my patients have.

but do you know an app for the iwatch?  by default it only takes 10-20 readings/24 hours which is not helpful