Having to pay $50,000 if I leave w/in 3 years due to training period given

I've been interviewing for a fully medical dermatology practice where I would shadow a dermatology physician for my 1st month, then 2nd month I'd have my own schedule with the last 20 min of each hour blocked to catch up, then 3rd month I'd have the last 10 min of each hour blocked to catch up. These first 3 months, I'd be paid about $75,000/yr and then bump up to $140,000 after that. Also due to this "training period," they state in the contract that I will owe them $50,000 if I leave within the first 3 years. Thoughts??? And do you think they would realistically be willing to negotiate that "pay $50,000 if leaving within first 3 years" part out? Has anyone else seen this type of thing with having to pay money if you leave?

Thanks in advance!

5 hours ago, SedRate said:

Do you only want to do derm? What is the mentorship like cuz it sounds like it's just limited to the first month? Is this the same job you posted about where an MA does the subpar shave biopsies?

Lots of red flags.

Derm is very much my first choice but I am still open to other specialties. The mentorship is mostly the first month but I will have other PAs I can talk to in the clinic and be able to reach the MD that owns the clinics and the mentoring MD at anytime with quick response.

And no this is a different job than the one with the MA doing the shave biopsies which I will not be returning to.

1 hour ago, nvrevr said:

Derm is very much my first choice but I am still open to other specialties. The mentorship is mostly the first month but I will have other PAs I can talk to in the clinic and be able to reach the MD that owns the clinics and the mentoring MD at anytime with quick response.

And no this is a different job than the one with the MA doing the shave biopsies which I will not be returning to.

Glad you'll have colleagues available for when you have questions. But shadowing for one month is not mentorship, neither is having a colleague available for questions or MD for a "quick response." This will be your first job and you absolutely need good to great mentorship where you can learn, establish your skills and practice, and ramp up. Maybe most derm practices operate in a similar way to this one but this doesn't sound like a new-grad-friendly position, IMO. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SedRate said:

Glad you'll have colleagues available for when you have questions. But shadowing for one month is not mentorship, neither is having a colleague available for questions or MD for a "quick response." This will be your first job and you absolutely need good to great mentorship where you can learn, establish your skills and practice, and ramp up. Maybe most derm practices operate in a similar way to this one but this doesn't sound like a new-grad-friendly position, IMO. 

Thank you! Unfortunately, most jobs I have seen and that my friends have seen/shadowed for/are in do not have appropriate mentorship unless you get into a fellowship and sadly I was not accepted into the fellowship I applied for. The The situation where I'd have to pay $50,000 if I don't stay for 3 years is a new one though that I haven't heard of and don't think is appropriate for the little amount of time I'd even receive training.

I worked a 3-year contract, and the only stipulation was that I repay the money spent on my hospital credentialing, PA licensing, and relocation costs should I quit before then. I completed the contract, but, honestly, I will never repeat the same mistake of signing any contract greater than 1 year. $50,000 sounds absurd, greed, and shady business. I would RUN from something like this if I were you.

28 minutes ago, chasingthatPAdream said:

I worked a 3-year contract, and the only stipulation was that I repay the money spent on my hospital credentialing, PA licensing, and relocation costs should I quit before then. I completed the contract, but, honestly, I will never repeat the same mistake of signing any contract greater than 1 year. $50,000 sounds absurd, greed, and shady business. I would RUN from something like this if I were you.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! Good to hear all these opinions and past experiences from others as new grads as it has been super enlightening