Applying to other programs after Deceleration

Guest PhysicianAssistant2000

Guest PhysicianAssistant2000

I was decelerated from a program due to having average of 79% on exams and not being able to pass 2 basic clinical exams . I do the clinical exams well while I am in the classroom and the professor admitted to that but I don’t do them exactly correct when performing them on a standardized patient . Despite the programs plan for me to come back next year , I personally and respectfully think that I will not be happy going back . So someone else can take my seat in that program if it’s their choice to be there . The program is on probation and in 2025 there  will be second review by the ARC PA. I want to explore if there’s any other option . I also wanted to clatify that I respect that program and will continue respecting it wishing the best/success  for faculty doing their job.However, the environment of the program was not the best for me to flourish and learn to the best of my ability. ANY advice I can get would be much appreciated. Any school that takes transferred credits ? What else should I worry about ? Should I apply through CASPA to other programs ? I am  very lost but I want to keep asking people for a solution because there must be one . I want to become the PA that I want to be and be able to heal others.

Edited by PhysicianAssistant2000

I know of one student who dropped out of a PA program and later went to another program, ultimately dropping out of there as well. She wasn't interested in going back to the first school because she had moved away. So not an altogether happy story.

I personally haven't met a student who went through CASPA and applied elsewhere. The worry I would have is that the bird in hand -- the school that will says it will take you back next year -- might get wind of it because it's not unreasonable to picture one school calling the other to see how you did there.

You may get some better answers but I personally think you might be better off staying the course. We have had students like you come back and do fine. I don't know why your program is on probation, though you can find out at the ARC-PA website. It's not an unusual situation but it's good to know why to estimate their chances of getting off probation.

Good luck.