anyone work for the VA? help!

Hey guys! i'm interviewing for a position with the VA and so confused about their pay. everyone online refers to GS 11, 12, 13,  but on the pay scales that i find it is grades and steps.  the starting salary on the job posting is a grade 2 step 1 salary for the particular hospital im interviewing for....my questions is how do i figure out what i realistically might get offered? what determines when you go up a grade or step?  i've only worked in private practice and ready to get out of that game.  

I have 4 years experience and a doctorate.  (all in psychiatry and the position is for psych)  -   i know i'll make less than private practice but i'm swimming in student loans and want to work for the feds. 

any insight appreciated!

If they are following the PA pay scale ( and for some reason not everyone is) it is PA-1 through PA-5. 1 thru 3 is for non leadership positions and then there are 12 steps in each grade. PA4 is local or regional leadership and PA5 is national leadership.

It sounds like they are saying PA2 step 1 which sounds right for your education and experience. That may or may not be the final offer. One of the most frustrating aspects of the hiring process is they don't tell you your salary offer until you have months invested in the process. Once you have been determined to be qualified a board will meet and consider your education and experience and then they will plug you into the pay scale. It is somewhat negotiable but each attempt at negotiation will delay the progress. It is a frustrating process and, supposedly, the VA is working to make it better.

Good luck. PM if I can help with any information. See my other post in a different VA thread for more info about salary and benefits.

Edited by Hemmingway
  • Like 2