New grad ortho offer

Hi everyone, I am a new graduate living in Florida and have been looking for a surgical job for a while now. I finally have a offer but after reading some of the posts im not sure if its really that great. Any help/advice would be great :)

The offer is with an orthopedic surgeon. I would be in the OR 3 days and office 2 days a week.

The package is $70K starting with quarterly bonuses and after the first year the pay goes to 85K with quarterly bonuses. They are offering benefits after 60 days, paid malpractice insurance, CME allowance, and relocations assistance.

Is this a responible starting package for a fresh new grad?

• 2 weeks later...

Very low salary. especially if you are putting in overtime or more then 40+ hours a week. Ortho is usually on the higher side so don't get hosed. Also you need to define bonus structure as I have seen a many people get burned on this. Remember they are courting you now. Once you sign the contract they have no incentive to court you again...

Thanks to all who replied. Since my last post I have more details on the position. They are still offering the same initial pay and increase after a year with 20% production bonus. Plus

3 weeks paid vacation

7 days paid sick time

5 days paid for cme + 1500 allowance

$2000 for relocation

malpractice insurance

recertification and membership dues

and all the normal benefits + 401k.

Does this sound like a feasible starting contract for a new grad? I think the salary is kind of low but Im not sure what the average for a new grad in orthopedics would be. Any input would be great.

Archived