New Grad PA struggling with procedures...words of wisdom/advice?

Hi everyone,

I'm a new grad PA and just recently started my new job in Radiology in upstate New York. My role as the PA involves performing paras, thoras, and biopsies on the regular alongside residents in training. I am currently being trained to perform these procedures and finding it very discouraging that I'm not able to perform these procedures as smoothly or as well as I thought I would be. Everyone is being very kind and patient as I'm learning but I can't help but be tough on myself. I know that everything takes time and practice, especially since I have no experience prior with ultrasound guided procedures like paras, thoras, and biopsies. Any advice or words of wisdom as a new grad jumping into a very procedure heavy field? 

Thank you !!!

I'm assuming you are in the field that you wanted to be and are, with the exception of being dissatisfied with your performance, still happy you are where you are.

Even in a non-procedure heavy job, it takes a long while until you are mostly comfortable with what you're doing. Beating yourself up in the interim isn't helping anyone. Better to assess what you're doing and practice those skills that you can. From the sounds of things, you are in a supportive environment: be thankful for that.

Best wishes.

• Upvote 1

Super Honest Questions not meant to imply anything other than asking...

Did you do procedures as a student? Do they come naturally to you? Do you like suturing, biopsies, wounds, surgical assisting?

How did you choose Interventional Radiology?

What is the expected ramp up in training and who is training you?

Does "smooth" imply that you could do them in your sleep or are you making errors or having complications?

It is an unusual job for a new grad - maybe for one who was a Rad Tech in previous life. 

Understanding the anatomy and physiology of the procedures you are expected to do is paramount to performance and understanding of what you are doing and why.

Are there any hands on seminars or trainings you can attend for US? Is there a residency for this?

Again, honest questions. I would not expect a new grad in a position such as this unless previously involved in radiology or surgery perhaps. Just very curious.

I wish you well

• Upvote 2

On 6/14/2023 at 5:15 PM, FuturePA505 said:

I'm a new grad PA and just recently started my new job in Radiology in upstate New York. My role as the PA involves performing paras, thoras, and biopsies on the regular alongside residents in training. I am currently being trained to perform these procedures and finding it very discouraging that I'm not able to perform these procedures as smoothly or as well as I thought I would be. Everyone is being very kind and patient as I'm learning but I can't help but be tough on myself. I know that everything takes time and practice, especially since I have no experience prior with ultrasound guided procedures like paras, thoras, and biopsies. Any advice or words of wisdom as a new grad jumping into a very procedure heavy field?

How recent is recent?

Advice: read, read, read. Ask to watch others perform said procedures and ask questions along the way (if/when appropriate). Get your anatomy down pat. Start using both hands when you cook, clean, brush your teeth, etc. Practice your hand tying with gloves on until it's smooth and fluid. Get your cadence down so you're doing things to same way every time. Get a practice sewing kit. 

• Upvote 1