How to increase GPA and where? Running out of options.

Hello everyone, I need some advice from people who have been in my situation.

I graduated in 2009 with a B.S. in Biology minor in Chemistry. I have a science GPA of 2.9 and overall 2.78

I want to start taking more science or pre hospital classes so I can apply to any PA school I want. I do not meet the 3.0 GPA minimum requirement.

Most Post-Bacc Pre Med certificates require a 3.0 GPA to apply, most graduate schools require a 3.0 GPA to apply, most schools don't offer a double bachelors degree.

1. I want to take upper division Biology classes.

2. I was advised not to retake classes already taken sinced I don't have grades lower than a C, so start taking more science classes or medical classes.

Within the last 2 months I have started volunteering and shadowing weekly and am taking EMT classes through UCLA.

During my college career I didn't know what I wanted to do, but now that I started volunteering I have a passion for health care but I need a chance to improve my GPA. I have called UCLA, USC, Cal State and the only option I have heard is from Cal State saying that I can audit under grad classes but I won't receive credit towards my GPA. There has to be a better solution.

I was thinking of working on a masters and then taking more undergrad classes but that seems to vague and not concentrated on health care.

The local community colleges WLAC and SMC do not offer upper division Biology or medical courses.

I want a back up plan and to be enrolled in classes building my GPA and experience if I do not get into PA school this year......

Any advice? I get a little overwhelmed with my research and options....

Thanks!!!

Hello everyone, I need some advice from people who have been in my situation.

I graduated in 2009 with a B.S. in Biology minor in Chemistry. I have a science GPA of 2.9 and overall 2.78

I want to start taking more science or pre hospital classes so I can apply to any PA school I want. I do not meet the 3.0 GPA minimum requirement.

Most Post-Bacc Pre Med certificates require a 3.0 GPA to apply, most graduate schools require a 3.0 GPA to apply, most schools don't offer a double bachelors degree.

1. I want to take upper division Biology classes.

2. I was advised not to retake classes already taken sinced I don't have grades lower than a C, so start taking more science classes or medical classes.

Within the last 2 months I have started volunteering and shadowing weekly and am taking EMT classes through UCLA.

During my college career I didn't know what I wanted to do, but now that I started volunteering I have a passion for health care but I need a chance to improve my GPA. I have called UCLA, USC, Cal State and the only option I have heard is from Cal State saying that I can audit under grad classes but I won't receive credit towards my GPA. There has to be a better solution.

I was thinking of working on a masters and then taking more undergrad classes but that seems to vague and not concentrated on health care.

The local community colleges WLAC and SMC do not offer upper division Biology or medical courses.

I want a back up plan and to be enrolled in classes building my GPA and experience if I do not get into PA school this year......

Any advice? I get a little overwhelmed with my research and options....

Thanks!!!

Try posting this on the Pre-PA or Student forum. You might get better info.

Try Southern California University of Health Sciences in Whittier's Integrated Science Program. They have A&P, Micro, Biochem, and bio as upper division and gen chem / o chem as lower division. If you didn't get a B or higher I suggest retaking those classes.

Since you're in So Cal I'm sure you're probably considering western university. That being the case you'll need stats, psych, and genetics.. You can take those at university of Phoenix.

Also you may be considering USC.. If that's the case you can take Spanish as a class at any school.

If you're considering RCC then physics can be taken at SCUHS.

When you apply to pa school all your grades average out and no grade is replaced unless your applying to western who honors grade replacements.

You can also take medical terminology, immunology, nutrition, embryology at a variety of schools. Just dig around and you'll find them. Upper division.. Lower division.. Doesn't matter.. Your GPA and HCE matter so build that up.

In my opinion I wouldn't waste my time working On a masters or second bachelors degree. Another option is to get some type of AA degree in a healthcare profession.. At least you'll kill 2 birds with 1 stone by increasing your GPA and securing a healthcare profession role.

If you do the SCUHS your classes last 4 weekends for 4 units including a lab. You're overall GPA is 2.7ish so I'm estimating you'll need 36-40 units at a 4.0 to raise your GPA to a 3.0. So figure out 10 classes you haven't taken or need to retake from all the programs you're interested in and get cracking.

Like folks said above, take any class that is relevant to PA school and science in general. Medical Terminology, Drug Calculation, Nutrition, etc. All of those will be factored into your sGPA and are all relevant to PA school. If you got a B- in any class then seriously consider retaking it. Even tho getting an A won't average out to a huge increase it will send the message to an admissions committee that you have what it takes to do well in science courses. I had a few re-takes on my transcripts and am proud of the As I got which replaced poor grades.

Archived