Getting Married After the PANCE - name change

Hey guys I’ve got a bit of a situation here.

I have officially graduated from PA school and am taking the PANCE in 2 weeks, which is under my maiden name. I’m then getting married 2 weeks after taking the PANCE. The original plan was to change my last name but now I’m not sure what to do or if it is worth the headache. I’d probably have to change my my SSN and drivers license before I take the PANCE and I can’t see myself making that all happen in the next 2 weeks while balancing wedding planning and studying for the PANCE.

But at the same time wouldn’t it be a huge pain to change my last name after getting licensed?

Does anyone know or have experience changing their last name shortly after taking the PANCE? I don’t have a job or anything lined up so no paperwork submitted in that department. But I know NCCPA has stringent guidelines about showing ID under your legal name, and I feel like it would be too soon to change it before taking the PANCE…my current plan is to take the PANCE under my maiden name (which is what’s on my drivers license and all forms of ID). Then once I pass the PANCE to try to submit all the paperwork to NCCPA and my state board for changing my name. I admit it’s my fault I didn’t look into this sooner, there’s just so much to do in so little time I never really thought about it until now. Any help would be appreciated.

I took my wife's last name after working for 1 yr and it was so much work, everything had to change as you can imagine. If you do the name change prior to taking the PANCE that would save you lots of headache. I agree with calling NCCPA to find out your options or to move the test. As you stated, the main components are getting the new SSN and driver's license which takes a couple of weeks if I remember correctly.

You can still apply to jobs with the contingency you pass your boards.

Or have your partner change their name instead. 

Edited by Patho
  • Upvote 1

Just a thought. Keep your maiden name as your professional name - or move it to your middle name - what I did when I got married. Instead of hyphenating.

Several of my friends have their maiden name legally as their professional name and use their married name privately/personally. Keeps a good separation of work/life and some privacy.

It works for them.

The whole TWO ID thing at Pearson Testing is wild. To think I started PANCE in an auditorium with a 3 day schedule and a bunch of #2 pencils..........damn, I am old.

At some point we will have barcodes or a chip in our neck.

Congrats on getting married and PANCE. Pace yourself. Enjoy!!

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Patho said:

I took my wife's last name after working for 1 yr and it was so much work, everything had to change as you can imagine. If you do the name change prior to taking the PANCE that would save you lots of headache. I agree with calling NCCPA to find out your options or to move the test. As you stated, the main components are getting the new SSN and driver's license which takes a couple of weeks if I remember correctly.

You can still apply to jobs with the contingency you pass your boards.

Or have your partner change their name instead. 

Thank you so much for this! I contacted the NCCPA last night and they recommended to me I submit my marriage license after taking the PANCE, I would hate to push out my test but I agree it would probably be less of a headache if I got it done before taking the PANCE. I will inquire with them again if there are other options.

Do you also know how applying for a DEA and NPI works? Does the NCCPA submit that info, do you do it yourself, or does your job do it for you? Sorry for all the questions, I need to look into that further as well - it’s just a lot to navigate through. 

52 minutes ago, Reality Check 2 said:

Just a thought. Keep your maiden name as your professional name - or move it to your middle name - what I did when I got married. Instead of hyphenating.

Several of my friends have their maiden name legally as their professional name and use their married name privately/personally. Keeps a good separation of work/life and some privacy.

It works for them.

The whole TWO ID thing at Pearson Testing is wild. To think I started PANCE in an auditorium with a 3 day schedule and a bunch of #2 pencils..........damn, I am old.

At some point we will have barcodes or a chip in our neck.

Congrats on getting married and PANCE. Pace yourself. Enjoy!!

Oooh good to know thank you! I was thinking of doing that as well, do you know how they were able to keep their maiden name as their professional name? I’ve been looking through different forums and Reddit and there’s some discourse. I assumed if you legally change your married name then your license would have to be under your legal name, but if there is an option to have my maiden name as my professional name that would be awesome 🙂 

also, have you noticed people having trouble when they hyphenate their name? I was considering doing that lol.

also thank you for the well wishes, much appreciated 🙂  

25 minutes ago, Pagrad26 said:

Thank you so much for this! I contacted the NCCPA last night and they recommended to me I submit my marriage license after taking the PANCE, I would hate to push out my test but I agree it would probably be less of a headache if I got it done before taking the PANCE. I will inquire with them again if there are other options.

Do you also know how applying for a DEA and NPI works? Does the NCCPA submit that info, do you do it yourself, or does your job do it for you? Sorry for all the questions, I need to look into that further as well - it’s just a lot to navigate through. 

I used this list when I graduated in 2017 in Maryland, ignore the time and numbers as they may have changed, but otherwise the steps should be similar to other states.

After graduation

Step 1: Take PANCE exam. You should get results in approx. 2 weeks.  

Step 2: Apply for state licensure.  You must wait for your results from the PANCE exam.  This needs to be mailed in. Read it carefully and follow all the directions! It says on the application that this will take 3-6 weeks.  For everyone in our class, this took 6+ weeks. This needs to be renewed in every odd year. (ie 2017, 2019, etc.) A copy of the paperwork can be found here: https://www.mbp.state.md.us/forms/pa_cert.pdf

COST (state of MD): $225

*Amendment: It appears that you will need to have a criminal background check and fingerprinting done before submitting for licensure.  Not sure how long this will take.  I did not have to do it, but will need to for renewing. This needs to be completed BEFORE applying for license.

COST: $52.75

Step 3: Apply for NPI (National Provider Identifier) number.  You cannot do this until you have your license.  This will be quick (mine was issued same day and I applied on a weekend!). Website: http://nppes.cms.hhs.gov

COST: FREE!

Step 4: Have employer fill out their portion of delegation agreement.  You must wait to get your license to submit this.  You can start working once the MD board of physicians receives this and sends you an email stating they have looked over your application.  You do not need to wait for them to approve it!  This does need to be sent by mail. It only needs to be re-submitted when changing employers.  You may also need to send in an amendment if you will have advanced duties (ie things beyond the normal scope of what a PA would be expected to do.  Your overseeing physician will help you get the rights for this). This can take 2-3 weeks for the email and up to 7 weeks to be approved.  A copy of the delegation agreement can be found here: https://www.mbp.state.md.us/forms/della_core_duties.pdf

COST: $200

Step 5: Apply for CDS (Controlled Dangerous Substances) license.  You only need to do this if your specialty will require you to prescribe controlled substances. You must wait for your delegation agreement to be APPROVED in order to send this in. This can be filled out online, but must be printed and mailed in along with payment. The website states this will take approx. 3-4 business weeks once your check has cleared.  Instructions and application can be found here: http://dhmh.maryland.gov/ocsa/Pages/CDS-Application.aspx

COST: $120 every 3 years or $80 for 2 years

Step 6: Apply for DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) license.  You must wait to get your CDS license to apply for this. Again this is only necessary if you will be prescribing controlled substances. This one you can fill out and submit online. The link can be found here: https://apps.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/webforms/

COST: $731 every 3 years

Edited by Patho

17 minutes ago, Patho said:

I used this list when I graduated in 2017 in Maryland, ignore the time and numbers as they may have changed, but otherwise the steps should be similar to other states.

After graduation

Step 1: Take PANCE exam. You should get results in approx. 2 weeks.  

Step 2: Apply for state licensure.  You must wait for your results from the PANCE exam.  This needs to be mailed in. Read it carefully and follow all the directions! It says on the application that this will take 3-6 weeks.  For everyone in our class, this took 6+ weeks. This needs to be renewed in every odd year. (ie 2017, 2019, etc.) A copy of the paperwork can be found here: https://www.mbp.state.md.us/forms/pa_cert.pdf

COST (state of MD): $225

*Amendment: It appears that you will need to have a criminal background check and fingerprinting done before submitting for licensure.  Not sure how long this will take.  I did not have to do it, but will need to for renewing. This needs to be completed BEFORE applying for license.

COST: $52.75

Step 3: Apply for NPI (National Provider Identifier) number.  You cannot do this until you have your license.  This will be quick (mine was issued same day and I applied on a weekend!). Website: http://nppes.cms.hhs.gov

COST: FREE!

Step 4: Have employer fill out their portion of delegation agreement.  You must wait to get your license to submit this.  You can start working once the MD board of physicians receives this and sends you an email stating they have looked over your application.  You do not need to wait for them to approve it!  This does need to be sent by mail. It only needs to be re-submitted when changing employers.  You may also need to send in an amendment if you will have advanced duties (ie things beyond the normal scope of what a PA would be expected to do.  Your overseeing physician will help you get the rights for this). This can take 2-3 weeks for the email and up to 7 weeks to be approved.  A copy of the delegation agreement can be found here: https://www.mbp.state.md.us/forms/della_core_duties.pdf

COST: $200

Step 5: Apply for CDS (Controlled Dangerous Substances) license.  You only need to do this if your specialty will require you to prescribe controlled substances. You must wait for your delegation agreement to be APPROVED in order to send this in. This can be filled out online, but must be printed and mailed in along with payment. The website states this will take approx. 3-4 business weeks once your check has cleared.  Instructions and application can be found here: http://dhmh.maryland.gov/ocsa/Pages/CDS-Application.aspx

COST: $120 every 3 years or $80 for 2 years

Step 6: Apply for DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) license.  You must wait to get your CDS license to apply for this. Again this is only necessary if you will be prescribing controlled substances. This one you can fill out and submit online. The link can be found here: https://apps.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/webforms/

COST: $731 every 3 years

Oh wow this is super helpful thank you so so much!! Really makes things more straightforward.

Did you pay for all those fees from your own pocket or was your first employer willing to do that for you? 

22 hours ago, Pagrad26 said:

Oh wow this is super helpful thank you so so much!! Really makes things more straightforward.

Did you pay for all those fees from your own pocket or was your first employer willing to do that for you? 

I graduated in August, started work in November so was able to use CME money and got reimbursed for everything by my hospital before the year ended.

You've received some good advice so far. I've seen multiple providers move their maiden to their middle name, hyphenate, etc. Do what's best for you!

I'll add that I didn't want to deal with the headache of changing everything so I kept my name. I love not having to provide extra info or documents everytime I apply for or fill out a document. 😊